She now joins USA Health as part of the trauma team with a passion for quality of life outcomes for burn patients. She is also interested in abdominal wall reconstruction and pursuing cardiopulmonary trauma research.
About Maryann Mbaka, M.D.
Dr. Maryann Mbaka is an assistant professor within the Department of Surgery and serves as a trauma surgeon within the Division of Trauma, Acute Care Surgery & Burns. She graduated with honors from Northwestern State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Biology.
After completing undergraduate studies, she completed a one year research program at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. In 2010, she matriculated into University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas, and earned her Doctor of Medicine in 2014. Dr. Mbaka started her residency in general surgery at University of South Carolina/Palmetto Health in Columbus, South Carolina, and completed her training at University of California San Francisco East Bay program. She completed her trauma/surgical critical care fellowship at University of Florida Gainesville in Gainesville, Florida. She is interested in cardiopulmonary trauma research and enjoys abdominal wall reconstruction and studying the outcome of the burn patient with regards to quality of life. She enjoys soccer, running, traveling to new places and spending time with her family and her church family.
- Committee on Trauma (COT) - South Carolina/North Carolina - Second place – oral presentation (2017)
- University of South Carolina – Medical Scholarship Day - Third place - Oral Presentation (2017)
- University of South Carolina/Dorn VA Medical Center - Outstanding Resident Teaching Award (2015)
- UTMB Honor’s Research Program - Cum Laude (2014)
- National Student Research Forum (NSRF) First Place Oral Presentation in Microbiology and Immunology (2014)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Norma Rubin Excellence in Research Award - Medical Student Summer Research Program Poster Presentation (MSSRP) (2011)
- The Herzog Scholarship (Academic scholarship) (2010-2014)
- Jesse H. Jones Academic Scholarship (2005)
Association for Academic Surgery
Society of Black Academic Surgeons
American College of Surgeons
Society of Critical Care Medicine
South eastern Surgical Congress – Resident member
Gold Humanism Honor Society
Association of Women Surgeons
American Medical Association
American Physician Scientist Association
American Medical Women's Association
Christian Medical and Dental Association
Student National Medical Association
Texas Medical Association
Women's Surgical Society
Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc
Order of Omega Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Blue Key Honor Society