Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I’m a USA employee looking for a primary care provider, who do you recommend?


    You may contact our Patient Navigator to help guide you to the appropriate provider based on your needs. Or you can browse through our online directory and find a provider that works best for you.

  • Does USA Health have a dermatologist?


    Currently, USA Health has a dermatologist, B. Frederick Bodie

  • Does USA Health have an ophthalmologist?


    Currently, USA Health has a pediatric ophthalmologist, Aref Rifai.

  • I went to the ER over the weekend and they told me to make an appointment at Strada but I don’t know what specialty or which doctor. Can you help me?


    Please call our Patient Navigator at (251) 434-3711 and she will be happy to help you schedule a follow-up appointment or you can easily request an appointment online using our request an appointment form and a representative from USA Health will contact you shortly to schedule the appointment.

  • How do I send my medical records to another clinic?


    If you would like to send your medical records to a healthcare provider outside the USA Health network, please contact the outpatient clinic where you have received care to receive further instructions. If you were a patient of USA Health University Hospital, please call (251) 471-7350, and if you were a patient of USA Children’s & Women’s Hospital, please call (251) 415-1642.

  • How do I request an appointment?


    USA Health now makes it easier than ever to request an appointment with a provider. Use our online appointment request form and a USA representative will be in touch with you shortly.

  • How do I get to the clinic?


    We have several different clinic locations, so you’ll need to remember for which clinic your appointment is scheduled. For contact information and directions, see the full listing of our locations here.

  • When is my appointment? Who is my appointment with?


    If you have a general question about an appointment or provider, please contact the clinic directly. You can also call our patient navigator at (251) 434-3711, and someone will be happy to transfer you to the clinic.

  • How do I make a payment?


    USA Health offers multiple ways to pay your bill. Payments can be made in-person, mailing a check, via telephone, online or through your MyUSAHealth patient portal account.

    If you would like to mail a check, please send your payment to the following address:

    USA Health Physicians Billing Services LLC
    P.O. Box 746434
    Atlanta, GA 30374-6434

    You may contact us directly at (866) 401-3057 to pay via telephone.

    If you wish to pay online, you can pay by selecting the facility above and follow the instructions to complete payment or you can pay by logging into your MyUSAHealth patient portal account if you are an existing patient.

    We accept major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), money orders, personal checks, and cash.

  • I have insurance. Why am I getting a bill?


    Many insurance plans include co-insurance, deductibles, and co-payments that are the patient’s responsibility to pay. Once your insurance has processed a claim, you will be billed for those amounts according to the Explanation of Benefits received from your insurance company. Directly contact your insurance company if you have questions regarding how your claim was processed.

  • Do you have my correct insurance?


    For questions regarding your insurance information, or if you need to update your information, call USA Physicians Patient Business Services at (866) 401-3057. Always present your insurance card at the time services are rendered.

  • Will my insurance cover certain procedures?


    To know for sure you will need to get those answers from your insurance company or refer to your plan manual for details on covered services.

  • Can I make payment arrangements on my account?


    Yes. If you cannot pay your balance in full, please contact one of our Patient Account Representatives and let them assist you in setting up an arrangement. Please call USA Physicians Group Patient Business Services at (866) 401-3057 to make payment arrangements on your account. Learn more about Financial Assistance here.

  • How do I get an itemized statement of my account activity?


    We ask that you request in advance by calling (866) 401-3057. We will contact you once the information is complete and will make arrangements to get the information to you.

  • If I use my Google Maps or Apple Maps app, sometimes it takes me through nearby neighborhoods. What is the best route to take to get to the University Hospital?


    Mapping services such as Google and Apple Maps sometimes route drivers through nearby neighborhoods and industrial areas. These routes can involve many turns, and some drivers have gotten lost while trying to navigate them. We encourage drivers to follow the directions provided below:

    Directions from South Mobile County
    Take I-10 East to I-65 North. Take Springhill Avenue Exit and turn right onto Springhill Avenue. Go 1.3 miles and turn left onto Mobile Street (traffic signal). Go 0.8 miles and after the road curves, University Hospital is the 2nd building on the right after the bridge.

    Directions From North Mobile County
    Take I-65 South to the Springhill Avenue Exit and turn right onto Springhill Avenue. Go 1.3 miles and turn left onto Mobile Street (traffic signal). Go 0.8 miles and after the road curves, University Hospital is the 2nd building on the right after the bridge.

    Directions From Semmes/Lucedale
    Take Highway 98 to Springhill Avenue. Take a left onto Springhill Avenue and go 0.6 miles to Mobile Street. Take a left onto Mobile Street and go 0.8 miles and after the road curves, University Hospital is the 2nd building on the right after the bridge.

    Directions From Baldwin County
    Take I-10 West to US Highway 98. Take Highway 98 to Springhill Avenue. Go approximately 4 miles to Mobile Street. Take a right onto Mobile Street and go 0.8 miles. After the curve in the road, University Hospital will be the 2nd building on the right after the bridge.

  • Where do I park at the University Hospital?


    There is ample parking in front and along the eastern sides of our hospital.

  • Where do I park at the Children’s & Women’s Hospital?


    There is ample parking in front of the hospital, with a covered breezeway in front of the lobby and the Emergency Department entrances.

  • Where do I park at the Strada Patient Care Center?


    There is ample parking for patients on both the western and eastern sides of the building.

  • Where do I park at the Mitchell Cancer Institute?


    We offer free valet parking services at MCI. Just pull up to the front entrance and a greeter will take care of the rest. The hugs are free, too!

  • What items should I bring with me if I am checking into the hospital?


    If your physician has determined that an overnight stay, or longer, is required for your visit with us, there are some items that you should bring with you.

    • A list of your current medications: This should include name, strength of your medication, and the times when you take your medication. Please include any over the counter medications and any vitamins or natural supplements.
    • Important telephone numbers: family and friends that you may need to reach during your stay.
    • Insurance card and personal identification
    • Pen and paper: Write down questions for your physician or nurse. You may forget later!
    • Robe, slippers, underwear, socks
    • Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant
    • Dentures and denture case, if needed
    • Glasses or contacts, with cases, if needed
    • Reading material

    Please do not bring valuables with you, such as large sums of money or jewelry. Also, please do not bring electric shavers or hair dryers. If you need help with shaving or other personal needs, your nurse or patient care assistant will help you.

  • I am being discharged. What do I do now?


    Your nurse or another healthcare provider will give you details on the discharge location from our hospital. It will vary by the type of service you received and also by hospital location.

    We encourage you to take advantage of our bedside pharmacy program to have your prescriptions filled before you leave the hospital. We also encourage you to practice good safety habits while in your car leaving the hospital. Be sure to wear a seat belt.

    Ask about any side effects from your medications. Some may make you feel sleepy, restrict your ability to drive or your ability to make good decisions. Some medicines have side effects when combined. Make arrangements to have someone else drive you home. For at least the next four to six hours, do not operate machinery, make important decisions, take sleeping pills, pain pills or drink alcohol. It is also important to know that the use of narcotic medications can be habit forming.

    You may have been referred to your regular doctor or provider or a specialist. Please follow-up as instructed. If your condition worsens, or you can’t get in to see a medical provider, contact the Emergency Department.

  • I want to shadow or observe—I need those hours to apply to a professional program.


    Shadowing, observation, and internship hours are scheduled through the individual departments. Please call the hospital’s main number, (251) 415-1000, and asked to be transferred to the particular department you are interested in shadowing. More information on the Clinical Observation Program, please visit our Engagement Opportunities page.

  • I have a long holiday break and I would like to volunteer at that time.


    Thank you for thinking of USA Children’s & Women’s Hospital. We know some breaks can be 4-6 weeks or longer. If you are a former volunteer, contact us prior to your break and let us know your availability. You may need to complete some paperwork. If you have never been a volunteer, unfortunately this is not enough time to get through our process. Please plan on starting at the beginning of the school year or in the summer, then we would welcome you back during your breaks.

  • What are the uniform and dress code requirements to volunteer?


    Volunteers are required to purchase and wear a uniform top while volunteering. In addition to the uniform top, volunteers must wear khaki pants, their name badge and closed-toe shoes. Artificial nails, visible tattoos and facial piercings are not permitted.

  • If I apply to volunteer at USA Health Children's & Women’s Hospital, am I automatically accepted?


    Volunteering at USA Children's & Women’s Hospital is not a good match for everyone. We are happy to share about our program to make sure you are well-informed.

  • If I apply, how long before I can begin volunteering?


    Thank you for being so excited to volunteer! Part of the process; however, is making sure we look after the safety and security of our patients. We require a background check, and training in areas such as confidentiality, infection control, safety and security, among others before a volunteer can begin. Generally, the application process takes about 6 weeks.

  • Can I volunteer to just rock babies?


    Patient unit volunteers are self-starters who need to feel at ease interacting with patients of all ages. Our volunteers need to enjoy interacting with any age patient—infants, toddlers, school-age, teens and adults. Being a volunteer requires flexibility. Volunteers may be called upon to help in another area or with special events.

  • I am looking for job experience; can I get that by volunteering?


    We do not have an official volunteer-to-work program. All of our volunteer assignments are in areas where the department has requested a volunteer. The objective of being a volunteer is to support patients, families, and staff. All volunteers perform tasks at the direction of and on behalf of the hospital, without monetary compensation or expectation of compensation from USA Children’s & Women’s Hospital.

  • What should I know about volunteer assignments?


    Many people think assignments only involve playing with children. We have many departments requesting volunteer assistance in more clerical/support roles. Assignments are based on your interest, availability and department needs.

  • Can I volunteer with a friend or family member?


    Yes, it may be possible to place you in assignments on the same day, at the same time and in the same department as your friend or family member.

  • When should college students apply?


    We know college students are in a variety of situations, yet still want to volunteer. We accept volunteer applications throughout the entire year. Please apply before the fall or spring semester. We want to make sure you have enough time to apply, get trained, and actually volunteer.

  • I am going to college locally and staying in town for the summer. When should I apply?


    Great! You are available year-round. Feel free to apply anytime.

  • I am going to college locally, but going home for the summer. When should I apply?


    We accept volunteer applications throughout the entire year. Please apply before the fall or spring semester. We want to make sure you have enough time to apply, get trained, and actually volunteer.

  • I am going to college out of town/state, but home locally for the summer. When should I apply?


    Welcome home! We appreciate your desire to help. Please apply for the summer volunteer session in March and April. This will give you enough time to complete to application and screening process and still have plenty of time to volunteer during the summer.

  • Do you have volunteer assignments in every department? I plan on majoring in xxx and want to get experience there.


    We respond to the needs of the staff when placing volunteers. If a department has requested a volunteer, then that is where we place them.

  • I am in college and my schedule changes. Can that be accommodated?


    Yes, we have a large number of college students in our volunteer ranks. Communicate with our office and every effort will be made to work with your schedule. If you are a college student home for the summer, you will need to apply early in the spring to allow for our application and placement process.

  • If I apply for the teen program, am I automatically accepted?


    The teen program continues to grow each year! We try our best to match as many teens with volunteer positions as possible, but due to the high number of applicants, it is not possible to find a match for everyone. Acceptance is also based on when we received your completed application.

  • When should teen volunteers apply?


    Applications for the summer program are available in January on this page. Applications will be accepted until the program deadline, unless the program capacity is reached. Please apply early.

  • What are the steps to become a teen volunteer?

    • Complete and submit the application.
    • Give the reference forms to 2 people who are not related to you or send them the link.
    • Return the references to the Department of Volunteer Services.
    • Attend the mandatory Information Session.
    • Enjoy volunteering and keep your commitment.
  • What are you looking for in a teen volunteer?


    Our teen volunteers must be interested and enthusiastic about what they are doing. It is important to be independent and comfortable talking to children and adults. There are many rules regarding infection control, confidentiality, and interacting with children and families — it is important to pay attention to this information and follow these regulations. Hospital staff members expect a teen volunteer to follow directions and demonstrate maturity and respect. Remember… volunteering should be your idea!

  • When would I volunteer?


    Our volunteers are given an assignment on the same day and same time each week; for example, Wednesdays 1-4 p.m. Typically, volunteers are here 4 hours each week. The staff relies on volunteers, so if you are going to miss more than 2 weeks in the summer, this may not be the right time to apply.

  • I volunteered as a teen. Do I need to complete another application?


    No, you do not. Check with the Department of Volunteer Services. Depending on when you volunteered, we will let you know what needs to be updated.

This link will open in a new tab or window.