Allen Broome, Pharm.D., director of health system pharmacy at USA Health, said that residency training benefits the profession long term and expands the ability to care for current and future patients.
About Pediatric Surgery Specialists
Surgical cases seen by pediatric surgeons are often quite different from those commonly seen by adult or general surgeons. Special training in pediatric surgery is important. For children requiring surgery, our board-certified surgeons are among the most highly trained and experienced in the region. Our specialists perform a wide range of surgeries, from routine ear, nose and throat procedures to complex spinal and trauma surgeries. Utilizing the latest technologies, such as the da Vinci Si (pronounced "ess eye") surgical system, our pediatric surgery specialists are able to offer advanced and precise surgical care to our young patients.
Our pediatric surgeons treat children from newborn through late adolescence.
Pediatric surgeons diagnose, treat and manage the surgical needs of children, including:
- Surgical repair of birth defects
- Serious injuries including burns
- Tumors, both benign and cancerous
- Endoscopic procedures
- General surgeries such as hernia repair, appendectomies and gastric reflux treatment
- Thoracic surgeries including lung resections and repair of chest wall deformities
- Minimally invasive surgeries in the chest and abdomen
- Bariatric surgery for adolescents older than 10 who qualify for the procedure
The hours of operation at Pediatric Surgery Specialists are Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
USA College of Medicine
Our physicians are also educators in the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Surgery at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine. Visit the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Surgery to learn about its academic mission, residency and fellowship programs.