Pediatric Developmental Medicine at USA Health
Each child grows and learns at his or her own pace. But health care providers look for certain milestones that let us know if we need to be concerned about delays. That’s where developmental medicine can help parents on the Gulf Coast. USA Health specialists work together with parents to provide consultation, evaluation, intervention, medication and therapy to help families manage developmental issues.
USA Health developmental medicine pediatric specialists treat patients with the following conditions:
- Autism spectrum disorders, which reveal themselves in verbal/nonverbal interactions, repetitive behaviors or difficulties in social interaction
- Cerebral palsy, a disorder that affects movement and is generally caused by a brain injury that occurs just before, during or after birth
- Developmental delays, meaning a child is not meeting certain developmental milestones
- Learning problems or learning disabilities, which refer to problems processing information that can affect a child’s ability to learn basic skills
- Developmental consequences of premature birth and/or prenatal exposures to substances or infections
Under the care of USA Health pediatric development specialists, children may receive medication as well treatment from a combination of the following providers: speech therapist, physical therapist, occupational therapist and psychologist.