USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Cancer chemoprevention and anti-cancer drug development
- Phosphodiesterases and cAMP/cGMP signaling in cancer biology
- Intracellular signaling compartmentalization in anti-cancer therapy
- Angiogenesis between cancer and normal tissues in lung cancer chemotherapy
- B.S., Pharmacy, Beijing Medical University
- Ph.D., Pharmacology, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Science
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences, Drug Discovery, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2012-present)
- Assistant Professor, Center for Lung Biology, Department of Pharmacology, University of South Alabama College of Medicine (2008-2011)
- Instructor, Department of Pharmacology, University of South Alabama College of Medicine (2005-2008)
- Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology, University of South Alabama College of Medicine (2002-2005)
- Assistant Professor, Beijing Medical University, National Key Laboratory, P. R. China (1996-1997)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Member, American Association for Cancer Research (2002-2007)
- Member, The American Physiological Society (2005-present)
- Ad hoc Reviewer, Medical Science Monitor (2006-present)
1. Henesy, M.B., Britain, A.L., Zhu, B., Amable, L., Honkanen, R.E., Corbin, J.D., Francis, S.H., Rich, T.C. (2012) Calcineurin regulates homologous desensitization of natriuretic peptide receptor-A and inhibits ANP-induced testosterone production in MA-10 cells. PLoS ONE. In press.
2. Tinsley, H.E., Grizzle, W.E., Abadi, A., Keeton, A., Zhu, B., Xi, Y., Piazza, G.A. (2012) New NSAID targets and derivatives for colorectal cancer chemoprevention. Prospects for chemoprevention of colorectal neoplasia. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (eds).
3. Feinstein, W., Zhu, B., Leavesley, S.J., Sayner, S.L., Thomas, C.R. (2011) Assessment of cellular mechanisms contributing to cAMP compartmentalization in pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. In press.
4. Zhu, B., Zhang, L., Creighton, J., Alexeyev, M., Strada, S.J., Stevens, T. (2010) Protein kinase A phosphorylation of Tau-serine 214 reorganizes microtubules and disrupts the endothelial cell barrier. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 299: L493-L501.
5. Zhu, B., Zhang, L., Alexeyev, M., Alvarez, D., Strada, S.J., Stevens, T. (2009) Type 5 phosphodiesterase is a critical determinant of the lung endothelial cell angiogenic phenotype. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 296: L220-L228.
6. Ji, D.B., Zhu, M.C., Zhu, B., Zhu, Y.Z., Li, C.L., Zhu, H.B. (2008) Hydroxysafflor yellow A enhances survival of vascular endothelial cells under hypoxia via upregulation of the HIF-1a-VEGF pathway and regulation of Bcl-2/Bax. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 52: 191–202.
7. Schmidt, E.P., Damarla, M., Rentsendorj, O., Servinsky, L.E., Zhu, B., Moldobaeva, A., Gonzalez, A., Hassoun, P.M., Pearse, D.B. (2008) Soluble guanylyl cyclase contributes to ventilator-induced lung injury in mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 295: L1056-L1065.
8. Creighton, J., Zhu, B., Alexeyev, M., Stevens, T. (2008) Spectrin-anchored phosphodiesterase 4D4 restricts cAMP from disrupting microtubules and inducing endothelial cell gap formation. J Cell Sci. 121: 110-119.
9. Zhu, B., Strada, S.J. The novel functions of cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase 5 and its inhibitors in carcinoma and pulmonary/cardiovascular vessels (Review). (2007) Curr Top Med Chem. 7: 437-454.
10. Zhu, B., Liu, G.T., Wu, R.S., Strada, S.J. (2006) Chemoprevention of Bicyclol against hepatic preneoplastic lesions. Cancer Biol Ther. 5: 1665-1673.
11. Zhu, B., Liu, G.T., Zhao, Y.M., Wu, R.S., Strada, S.J. (2006) Chemosensitizing multiple drug resistance of human carcinoma by Bicyclol involves attenuated P-glycoprotein, GST-P and Bcl-2. Cancer Biol Ther. 5: 536-543.
12. Zhu, B., Zhang, L.H., Zhao, Y.M., Cui, J.R., Strada, S.J.(2006) 8-Chloroadenosine induced HL-60 cell growth inhibition, differentiation and G1 arrest involves attenuated cyclin D1 and telomerase but up-regulated p21WAF1/CIP1. J Cell Biochem. 97: 166-177.
© 2018 USA Health