Training and Educational Opportunities
Inspiring and Training the Next Generation of Great Minds
MCI is committed to developing the next generation of outstanding researchers to continue the battle against cancer. We offer a variety of programs centered in basic and translational cancer biology research, including High School and Undergraduate Student Outreach, a Doctoral Program in Cancer Biology and a robust Postdoctoral Training Program.
Data in Progress
MCI also offers weekly Data in Progress presentations wherein postdoctoral students and Research Principal Investigators as well as guest researchers present the status of their current and on-going research. Data in Progress presentations are offered each Tuesday at 4:00-5:00 p.m. in the MCI Multipurpose Room.
- 11/07/17 -- Role of SON in Down Syndrome Acute Megakaryoblastic Leukemia (DS-AMKL), Lana Vakudin, Ph.D.
- 10/31/17 -- Macrodomains, Special Guest: Margaret Johnson, Ph.D., UAB Dept. of Chemistry
- 10/24/17 -- Regulation and function of the long noncoding RNA MALAT1 in breast cancer, Joshua Stone
- 10/17/17 -- Overexpression of DNA Polymerase β is associated with poor prognosis in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Jennifer Clark, Ph.D.
- 10/10/17 -- The splicing cofactor SON is required for appropriate splicing of ErbB receptors ErbB2 and ErbB3, Joshua Phillips, Ph.D.
- 10/03/17 -- A Novel Sulindac Derivative Targets PDE10 in Lung Cancer, Ashley Lindsay, Ph.D.
- 09/19/17 -- Microfluidic Flow Cytometry, Steven McClellan, MCI Lab Manager
- 09/09/17 -- The Role of miR4728 in Cancer Immunity: MicroRNA 4728 regulates cancer immune system via Interferon-gamma secretion, Jin-Hwan Kim, Ph.D
- 08/01/17 -- We Are Innovators, David Hinton, Ph.D.
- 07/25/17 -- Follow Up Care in Cancer – The Patient Perspective, Dr. Nicole Ezendam, research scholar from the Dutch Cancer Society, The Netherlands
- 07/11/17 -- Glycoproteomic Analysis of Gastrointestinal Lavage Fluid as a Source of Cancer Biomarkers, Crystal Daniels
- 06/27/17 -- Anti-tumor Activity of MCI-048, a Novel Sulindac Derivative Against Human Lung Cancer Characterized in vivo and in vitro, Veronica Ramirez-Alcantara, Ph.D.
- 06/23/17 -- Becoming an HPV Vaccine Champion: Getting to 100% vaccinated, Dr. Jennifer Young Pierce
- 06/07/17 -- Automated Live Cell Imaging and Analysis with Cytation 5 and BioSpa 8, Ryan W. Althoff and Sarah Guadiana, Ph.D., BioTek Instruments Inc.
- 06/06/17 -- Novel Compound DC070-547 Potently and Selectively Inhibits the Growth of KRAS Mutant Pancreatic Tumor Cells by Decreasing RAS-Effector Binding and Signaling, Tyler Mattox, Ph.D.
- 05/30/17 -- Novel non-COX inhibitory sulindac derivative with β-catenin suppressing activity reduces the formation of colorectal adenomas and adenocarcinomas in the APC+/min-FCCC mouse model, Kevin Lee, Ph.D.
- 05/23/17 -- Cellular and molecular aspects of Neil1 knockout MEFs, Mohammad Saki, Ph.D.
- 05/02/17 -- DNA fiber Assay to Measure Fidelity and Dynamics of DNA Replication During Various Stress Conditions, Chinnadurai Mani, Ph.D.
- 04/25/17 -- Complexity of the bone marrow microenvironment during malignant hematopoiesis, Robert S. Welner, Ph.D.
- 04/19/17 -- ProteinSimple: Protein tools to assist researchers resolve protein analysis problems to reveal new insight into proteins and their role in disease, Simon Kratzat, Simple Western Sales Specialist
- 04/18/17 -- Novel Isatin derivatives as anti-proliferative agents, Adam Keeton, Ph.D.
- 04/11/17 -- TRIP12 regulation and modification of DNA polymerase beta, Qingming Fang, Ph.D.
- 03/24/17 -- From the Bench to the Clinic, Dr. Andres Forero
- 03/14/17 -- At the Crossroads Between Structural Biology and DNA Repair, Dr. Aishwarya Prakash
- 03/07/17 -- A new approach to understanding racial disparities in prostate cancer, Nallaisvam Palanisamy, Ph.D.
- 02/21/17 -- Aberrant glycosylation of MUC16 enhances the malignant properties of pancreatic cancer cells, Prakash Radhakrishnan, Ph.D.
- 02/17/17 -- Mitochondria matter: targeting mitochondrial function in tumor cells, Bennett Van Houten, Ph.D.
- 01/24/17 -- Role of SON in Down Syndrome Acute Megakaryoblastic Leukemia, Eun-young Park, Ph.D.
- 01/10/17 -- Risky Tanning Behaviors among Adolescents and Young Adults: Opportunities for Intervention and Prevention, Casey Daniel, Ph.D.
- 01/03/17 -- SON-mediated alternative RNA splicing in glioblastoma, Dr. Jung-Hyun Kim
Distinguished Scientist Seminar
MCI participates in the Distinguished Scientist Seminar series with the USA College of Medicine. National and international scientists and researchers are invited to host seminars that discuss their current and on-going research activities. Mitchell Cancer Institute sponsors several scientist/researchers during the year. Distinguished Scientist Seminars are offered on Thursdays at 4:00-5:00 p.m. in the first-floor auditorium at the USA College of Medicine's Medical Sciences Building.
Post-Doctoral Lunch & Learn Series:
- 10/19/17 -- Is work-life balance possible for researchers?, Dr. Julie Cwilka, Director of Creativity & Innovation in STEM, Office of Vice President of Research, University of Southern Mississippi
- 03/29/17 -- Alternative careers for PhDs: The lab is not your only option, Andy Byrd & David Hinton, Office of Commercialization and Industry Collaborations, University of South Alabama
- 12/08/16 -- Financial Literacy: Creating a Roadmap for Success, Matt McWhorter, Financial Services Professional, New York Life Securities
- June 2016 -- Career Paths in Science: Inside and Outside the Academic Track, Kim Littlefield, PhD, Asst. Vice President, USA Research Development and Learning