Seema Singh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Oncologic Sciences
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Inflammation and Cancer
- Tumor Microenvironment
- Tumor Progression and Metastasis
- Molecular bases of cancer health disparities
- B.S, Aligarh M. University, Aligarh, UP, India
- M.S, Aligarh M. University, Aligarh, UP, India
- Ph.D, Aligarh M. University, Aligarh, UP, India
- Associate Professor of Oncologic Sciences, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, 2016-present
- Assistant Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of South Alabama, 2015-present
- Member Graduate Faculty, University of South Alabama, 2015-present
- Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, 2012-2016
- Instructor of Oncologic Sciences, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, 2009-2012
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- NIH research proposal (R01)-Molecular causes and mechanistic underpinning of breast cancer racial disparity) ranked at 3.0 percentile in scientific merit review, 2015
- Awarded NIH research proposal (R03) - Chemoprotective role of silver nanoparticles in UV radiation-induced skin carcinogenesis, 2014
- Awarded NIH research proposal (R03) - Role of ETV4 in pancreatic cancer, 2012
- Paper published in British Journal of Cancer 2009 selected for press release and cited in various newspapers, 2009
- Awarded Senior Research Fellowship of CSIR, Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow, India, 1998-2001
- Awarded Junior Research Fellowship of CSIR, Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow, India, 1996-1998
Other Professional Activities and Service:
- Scientist Reviewer: DOD- Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP), 2015
- Co-organizer, Monthly Pancreatic Cancer Research Focus (PCRF) group meeting at USAMCI (2015- present)
- Co-organizer, Monthly NanoBio Research Interest (NBRI) group meeting (2014-present)
- Scientist Reviewer: DOD- Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP), 2013
- Editorial board member: PLOS ONE , 2013-present
- Editorial board member: World Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology, 2013-present
- Editorial board member: Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutic Oncology, 2013-present
- Scientist Reviewer: DOD- Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP), 2011
- Organizing Member- ACS Chili Cook off, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Alabama, 2016
- Team Leader (Learn, Fight and Defeat) of Making Strides of South Alabama, American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Strides Walk, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Alabama, 2015
- Member, Planning Committee of Think Pink Tea breast cancer awareness event, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Alabama, 2015
- Member-Head Chef, ACS Chili Cook off, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Alabama, 2015
- Board Member, Breast Friends Forever, University of South Alabama, Mobile, USA, October, 2015- present
- Compositions and methods of ameliorating pancreatic cancer. (U.S. patent filed October 2011)
- Novel streptomyces strain with potential antimicrobial activity against phyto-pathogenic fungi. 2000 (U.S. Patent 20020076802).
- Tyagi N., Arora S., Deshmukh S.K., Singh S., Marimuthu S., and Singh A.P. (2016) Exploiting nanotechnology for the development of microRNA-based cancer therapeutics. J. Biomed. Nanotech. 12(1):28-42.
- Tyagi N., Marimuthu S., Bhardwaj A., Deshmukh S.K., Srivastava S., Singh A.P., McClellan S., Carter J.E., and Singh S. (2016) p21-activated kinase 4 maintains stem cell-like phenotypes in pancreatic cancer cells through activation of STAT3 signaling Cancer. Lett. 370(2):260-7.
- Srivastava S., Bhardwaj A. Arora S., Singh S., Azim, S., Tyagi N., Carter, J.E., Wang B., and Singh A.P. (2015). MYB is a novel regulator of pancreatic tumor growth and metastasis. Brit. J. Cancer 113(12):1694-703.
- Palanki R., Arora S., Tyagi N., Rusu L., Singh A.P., Palanki S., Carter J.E., and Singh S. (2015) Size is an essential parameter in governing the UVB-protective efficacy of silver nanoparticles in human keratinocytes. BMC Cancer.15:636. doi: 10.1186/s12885-015-1644-8.
- Tyagi N., Bhardwaj A., Srivastava S.K., Arora S., Marimuthu S., Deshmukh S.K., Singh A.P., Carter J.E., and Singh S. (2015) Development and characterization of a novel in vitro progression model for UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis. Sci Rep. 5:13894.
- Khan M.A., Srivastava S.K., Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Arora S., Zubair H., Carter J.E., and Singh A.P. (2015) Gemcitabine triggers angiogenesis-promoting molecular signals in pancreatic cancer cells: Therapeutic implications. Oncotarget 6(36):39140-50.
- Srivastava S.K., Bhardwaj A., Arora S., Tyagi N., Singh A.P., Carter J.E., Scammell J.G., Fodstad Ø., and Singh S. (2015) Interleukin-8 is a key mediator of FKBP51-induced melanoma growth, angiogenesis and metastasis. Brit. J. Cancer 112(11):1772-81.
- Arora S., Tyagi N., Bhardwaj A., Rusu L., Palanki R., Vig K., Singh S.R., Singh A.P., Palanki S., Miller M.E., and Singh S. (2015) Silver nanoparticles protect human keratinocytes against UVB radiation-induced DNA damage and apoptosis: Potential for prevention of skin carcinogenesis. Nanomedicine 11(5):1265-75.
- Deshmukh S.K., Srivastava S.K., Bhardwaj S., Singh A.P., Tyagi N., Marimuthus S., Dyess D.L., Zotto V.D., Carter J.E., and Singh S. (2015) Resistin and interleukin-6 exhibit racially disparate expression in breast cancer patients, display molecular association and promote growth and aggressiveness of tumor cells through STAT3 activation. Oncotarget 6(13):11231-41.
- Bhardwaj A., Srivastava SK., Singh S., Arora S., Tyagi N., Andrews J., McClellan S., Carter JE., and Singh AP. (2014) CXCL12/CXCR4 signaling counteracts docetaxel-induced microtubule stabilization via p21-activated kinase 4-dependent activation of LIM domain kinase 1. Oncotarget 5(22):11490-500.
- Tyagi N., Bhardwaj A., Singh A.P McClellan S., Carter J.E and Singh S. (2014) P-21 activated kinase 4 promotes proliferation and survival of pancreatic cancer cells through akt- and erk-dependent activation of NF-κB pathway. Oncotarget 5(18):8778-89.
- Arora S., Swaminathan S.K., Kirtane A., Srivastava S.K., Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Panyam J., and Singh A.P. (2014) Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of poly (D, L-lactide-co-glycolide)-based nanoformulation of miR-150: potential implications for pancreatic cancer therapy. Int. J. Nanomed. 18(9):2933-42.
- Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Srivastava S., Arora S., Hyde S., Andrews J., Grizzle W.E., and Singh A.P. (2014) Restoration of PPP2CA expression reverses epithelial to mesenchymal transition and suppresses prostate tumor growth and metastasis in an orthotopic mouse model. Brit. J. Cancer 110(8):2000-10.
- Srivastava S., Arora S., Singh S., Bhardwaj A., Averett C., and Singh A.P. (2014) MicroRNAs in pancreatic malignancy: Progress and promises. Cancer Lett. 347(2):167-74.
- Bhardwaj A., Arora S., Prajapati V., Singh S., and Singh A.P. (2013). Cancer ‘stemness’ regulating microRNAs: Role, mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Curr. Drug Targets 14(10):1175-84.
- Arora S., Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Srivastava S.K., McClellan S., Nirodi C.S., Piazza G., Grizzle W.E., Owen L.B., and Singh A.P. (2013) An undesired effect of chemotherapy: Gemcitabine promotes pancreatic cancer cell aggressiveness through ROS-dependent, NF-κB- and HIF-1α-mediated upregulation of CXCR4. J. Biol. Chem. 288(29):21197-207
- Singh A.P, Arora S, Bhardwaj A, Srivastava S.K, Kadakia M.P, Wang B, Grizzle W.E, Owen L.B, and Singh S. (2012) CXCL12/CXCR4 protein signaling axis induces sonic hedgehog expression in pancreatic cancer cells via extracellular regulated kinase- and Akt kinase-mediated activation of nuclear factor κB: implications for bidirectional tumor-stromal interactions. J Biol Chem. 287(46):39115-24.
- Srivastava S., Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Arora S., Grizzle W.E., Reed E., and Singh A.P. (2012) Myb overexpression overrides androgen-depletion induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in prostate cancer cells, and confers aggressive malignant traits: potential role in castration-resistance. Carcinogenesis 33(6):1149-57.
- Harris L.G., Pannell L.K., Singh S., Samant R.S., and Shevde L.A. (2011). Increased vascularity and spontaneous metastasis of breast cancer by hedgehog signaling mediated upregulation of cyr61. Oncogene 31(28):3370-80
- Srivastava S., Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Arora S., Wang B., Grizzle W.E., and Singh A.P. (2011) MicroRNA-150 directly targets MUC4 and suppresses growth and malignant behavior of pancreatic cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 32(12):1832-9.
- Arora S., Bhardwaj A., Srivastava S.K., Singh S., McClellan S., Wang B., and Singh A.P. (2011) Honokiol arrests cell cycle, induces apoptosis, and potentiates the cytotoxic effects of gemcitabine in human pancreatic cancer cells. PLoS ONE 6(6): e21573
- Bhardwaj A., Singh S., Srivastava S.K., Honkanen R.E., Reed E., and Singh A.P. (2011) Modulation of protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) activity alters androgen-independent growth of prostate cancer cells: therapeutic implications. Mol Cancer Ther. 10(5): 720-31. (featured in “highlights of the issue”, p709)
- Singh S., Srivastava S.K., Bhardwaj A., Owen L.B., and Singh A.P. (2010) CXCL12-CXCR4 signaling axis confers gemcitabine resistance to pancreatic cancer cells: A novel target for therapy. Brit. J. Cancer 103(11): 1671-79.
- Singh, S., Singh, A.P., Sharma, B., Owen, L.B., and Singh, R.K. (2010) CXCL-8 and its cognate receptors in melanoma progression and metastasis. Future Oncol 6(1): 111-16.
- Singh S., Sadanandam A., Varney M.L., Nannuru K., and Singh R.K. (2010) Small interfering RNA-mediated CXCR1 or CXCR2 knock-down inhibits melanoma tumor growth and invasion. Int. J. Cancer 126(2):328-36.
- Singh S., Varney M.L., and Singh R.K. (2009) Host CXCR2-dependent regulation of melanoma growth, angiogenesis and experimental lung metastasis. Cancer Res 69(2):411-15.
- Singh S., Sadanandam A., Nannuru K.C., Varney M.L., Mayer-Ezel R., Bond R., and Singh R.K. (2009) Small molecule antagonists for CXCR2 and CXCR1 inhibit human melanoma growth by decreasing tumor cell proliferation, survival and angiogenesis. Clin. Cancer Res 15(7):2380-86.