Specifications for Student Notebooks
Posted 2 April 2013
Students will be responsible for purchasing their own laptops.
The following are the minimum requirements: • Windows 7 or 8 Professional 32 or 64 bit or higher (Home Premium, Basic, and Starter editions not acceptable). XP and Vista should be avoided.
• Office 2007 or higher with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent
• 250G hard drive or Solid State Drive or higher
• 4 GB RAM minimum
• Intel dual core, i3, i5, or i7 processor or AMD equivalent. Intel Atom, Celeron, or other low power or single core processors are NOT acceptable.
• Internal wireless network card
• USB to Ethernet adapter if laptop does not have built-in Ethernet port
• 15" or greater standard or widescreen LCD display Screen displays smaller than 12” are not acceptable.
• AMD or NVIDIA graphics highly recommended.
• Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/) or Windows Defender enabled for Windows 8. Important: remove any other antivirus packages including trial versions prior to installing MSE or enabling Windows Defender on Windows 8. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time will cause system instabilities including Internet connection problems.
Although a PC is recommended for software compatibility, a student may elect to use a Mac Book. The following are the minimum requirements for Mac users:
• Intel based MacBook Pro 13-inch MacBook Air w/ 256GB Solid State Drive (11- inch Mac Book Air or less than 256GB Solid State Drive is not acceptable).
External storage device such as a USB hard drive highly recommended for data backup for both PC’s and Mac’s.