Specifications for Student Notebooks
Posted 28 May 2014
Students will be responsible for purchasing their own laptops.
The following are the minimum requirements:
• Windows 7 or 8, 8.1 Professional 32 or 64 bit. Vista should be avoided.
• Microsoft Office 2007 or higher with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent
• 250G hard drive or Solid State Drive or higher
• 4 GB RAM minimum
• Intel dual core, i3, i5, or i7 processor or AMD equivalent. Intel Atom, Celeron, or other low power or single core processors are NOT acceptable.
• Internal wireless network card
• USB to Ethernet adapter if laptop does not have built-in Ethernet port
• 15" or greater display screen highly recommended. Displays smaller than 12” are not acceptable. Touchscreen recommended for Windows 8.
• AMD or NVIDIA discrete graphics highly recommended.
• Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download) or Windows Defender enabled for Windows 8, 8.1. Important: Other anti-virus software including trial versions must be removed prior to installing MSE or enabling Windows Defender. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time will cause system instabilities including Internet connection problems.
Students may elect to use a Mac instead of a PC based laptop. The following are the minimum requirements for Mac users:
• Intel based MacBook Pro 13-inch MacBook Air w/ 256GB Solid State Drive (11- inch Mac Book Air or less than 256GB Solid State Drive is not acceptable).
External storage device such as a USB hard drive highly recommended for data backup for both PC’s and Mac’s.
The Microsoft 12” Surface Pro 3 tablet is acceptable under the following conditions: