USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Lung cancer
• Neuroendocrine tumors (Carcinoid)
• Non-small cell lung cancer
• Small cell lung cancer
- Head and Neck cancers, including:
• Hypopharyngeal Cancer
• Laryngeal Cancer
• Lip and Oral Cavity Cancer
• Metastatic Squamous Neck Cancer with Occult Primary
• Nasopharyngeal Cancer
• Oropharyngeal Cancer
• Paranasal Sinus and Nasal Cavity Cancer
• Salivary Gland Cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers, including:
• Small intestine
• Anal cancer
• Neuroendocrine tumors (Carcinoid)
- M.S. in Clinical Investigation (MSCI), Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, 9/2015 - 3/2017
- MBBS, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India, 9/1998 - 2/2004
- Fellow, Northwestern Medicine Developmental Therapeutics Institute, Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center (RHLCCC) of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, 7/2015-1/2017
- Chief fellow, Medical Oncology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana, 7/2014-6/2015
- Medical Oncology Fellow, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana, 7/2013- 6/2015
- Resident, Internal Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Science Centre, Shreveport, Louisiana, 7/2011-6/2013
- Intern, Internal Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Science Centre, Shreveport, Louisiana, 7/2010-6/2011
- Post Graduate in General Medicine, Manipal University, Manipal, India, 5/2004-4/2007
- Internship, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India, 2/2003-2/2004
- Program Leader - Developmental Therapeutics, Staff Medical Oncologist, Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology, Mitchell Cancer Institute, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, 3/1/2017-present
- Instructor, Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1/2016-1/2017
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medical Oncology, Shirdi Sai Baba Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India, 6/2008-6/2010
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal India, 5/2007-5/2008
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology), 2015
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine), 2013
- Alabama Medical license ( MD.35607), 1/2017-present
- Alabama controlled substance license (MD.35607), 1/2017-present
- State of Illinois (Medical License Number: 036.138081), 7/2015-present
- United States DEA number (FP5447619), 7/2015-present
- Louisiana Medical License (MD.206192 - inactive), 2013-2015
- Medical Council of India (67655/Karnataka Medical Council), 2004-present
Memberships in Professional Societies and Scientific Committees:
- Member of Molecular Tumor Board of RHLCCC, 11/2015-1/2017
- Member of the Institutional Review Board of Northwestern University, 10/2015-1/2017
- Reviewer for Scientific Review Committee, RHLCCC, 10/2015-1/2017
- OncoSET Clinic Committee, 10/2015-1/2017
- Budget reviewer for NMDTI clinical trials, 7/2015-1/2017
- Quality Assurance reviewer for RHLCCC, 7/2015-1/2017
- Associate member of American Society of Hematology, 7/2015-present
- Associate member of American Association for Clinical research, 2014-present
- Associate member of American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2013-present
- Fellow representative to Cancer Committee, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, 2013-2015
- Resident representative to Cancer Committee of LSUHSC – Shreveport, 2011-2013
- Founder member of Literati book club of LSUHSC- Shreveport, 2011-2013
- Associate member of American College of Physicians (ACP), 2010-2013
- Resident/Fellow Member of American Medical Association (AMA), 2010-present
- Member of Association of Medical Doctors of Asia (AMDA) disaster management cell, Manipal chapter, Manipal, India, 2008-2010
Awards and Scholarships:
- B. Braun Medical Trust Foundation scholarship & award for outstanding achievement in Postgraduate Medical Studies in the field of Medicine, 2006
- Corporation Bank Officers’ Union student scholarship for excellence in education, 1998-2003
- Ammembal Subba Rao Pai Memorial Trust (Mangalore) loan scholarship assistance towards expenses of medical school and access to exclusive medical reference library, 1998-2003
1. Pai SG, Carneiro BA, Chae YK, Costa RL, Kalyan A, Shah HA, Helenowski I, Rademaker AW, Mahalingam D, Giles FJ. Correlation of tumor mutational burden and treatment outcomes in patients with colorectal cancer. Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2017;8(5):858-66.
2. Pai SG, Carneiro BA, Mota JM, Costa R, Leite CA, Barroso-Sousa R, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin pathway: modulating anticancer immune response. Journal of hematology & oncology. 2017;10(1):101. Epub 2017/05/10. doi: 10.1186/s13045-017-0471-6. PubMed PMID: 28476164; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5420131
3. Costa R, Carneiro BA, Agulnik M, Rademaker AW, Pai SG, Villaflor VM, Cristofanilli M, Sosman JA, Giles FJ. Toxicity profile of approved anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibodies in solid tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Oncotarget. 2016. Epub 2016/11/17. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.13315. PubMed PMID: 27852042.
4. Meeks JJ, Carneiro BA, Pai SG, Oberlin DT, Rademaker A, Fedorchak K, Balasubramanian S, Elvin J, Beaubier N, Giles FJ. Genomic characterization of highrisk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Oncotarget. 2016. Epub 2016/10/18. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.12661. PubMed PMID: 27750214
5. Pai SG, Kaplan JB, Giles FJ. Long-acting interferon for myeloproliferative neoplasms - an update. Expert review of hematology. 2016. Epub 2016/09/02. doi: 10.1080/17474086.2016.1231571. PubMed PMID: 27584865
6. Chae YK, Davis AA, Carneiro BA, Chandra S, Mohindra N, Kalyan A, Kaplan J, Matsangou M, Pai S, Costa R, Jovanovic B, Cristofanilli M, Platanias LC, Giles FJ. Concordance between genomic alterations assessed by next-generation sequencing in tumor tissue or circulating cell-free DNA. Oncotarget. 2016. Epub 2016/09/03. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.11692. PubMed PMID: 27588476
7. Costa R, Carneiro BA, Taxter T, Tavora FA, Kalyan A, Pai SG, Chae YK, Giles FJ: FGFR3-TACC3 fusion in solid tumors: mini review. Oncotarget. 2016 Jul 7. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.10482. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27409839
8. Costa R, Carneiro BA, Tavora F, Pai SG, Kaplan JB, Chae YK, Chandra S, Kopp PA, Giles FJ. The challenge of developmental therapeutics for adrenocortical carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Apr 18. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.8774. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27102148
9. Pai, SG, Fuloria J: Novel therapeutic agents in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer; World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2016 Jan 15;8(1):99-104; PMID:26798440
10. Jain S* , Pai SG*, Santa-Maria C, Gradishar W. State of Personalized Medicine in Breast Cancer. 2016; April 2016 * first authors contributed equally.
11. Chae YK, Pai SG, Sun P, Costa R, Matsangou M, Agulnik M, Giles F: Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor (FGFR) as a Therapeutic Target in Lung and Head and Neck Cancer. American Journal of Hematology and Oncology
12. Chae YK, Gagliato Dde M, Pai SG, Carneiro B, Mohindra N, Giles FJ, et al. The Association between EGFR and cMET Expression and Phosphorylation and Its Prognostic Implication in Patients with Breast Cancer. PLoS One.
2016;11(4):e0152585. PMID: 27055285.
13. Costa R, Carneiro BA, Chandra S, Pai SG, Chae YK, Kaplan JB, et al. Spotlight on lenvatinib in the treatment of thyroid cancer: patient selection and perspectives. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2016;10:873-84. PMID: 27013865.
14. Rao GA, Mann JR, Shoaibi A, Pai SG, Bottai M, Sutton SS, Haddock KS, Bennett CL, Hebert JR. Angiotensin receptor blockers: are they related to lung cancer? J Hypertens. 2013 Aug; 31(8):1669-75. PMID:23822929
15. Salins NS, Pai SG, Vidyasagar MS, Sobhana M. Ethics and medico legal aspects of “Not for Resuscitation”. Indian J Palliat Care 2010;16:66-9; PMID:21811350
16. Pai SG, Shivashankara KN, Pandit V, Sheshadri S. Symptomatic hypocalcemia in primary hyperaldosteronism: a case report. J Korean Med Sci. 2009 Dec;24(6):1220-3; PMID:19949688
1. Sachin Pai, Benedito Carneiro, Aparna Kalyan, Ricardo Costa, Irene Helenowski, Alfred Radmeaker, Hiral Shah, Daniel Olson, Young Chae, Francis Giles: Correlation of Tumor Mutation Burden and Chemotherapy Outcomes in Colorectal Cancer – accepted for poster publication at AACR annual meeting 2017, Washington DC
2. Joshua Meeks, Benedito A. Carneiro, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, Daniel Oberlin, Alfred Rademaker, Kyle Fedorchak, Sohail Balasubramanian, Julia Andrea Elvin, Nike Beaubier, Francis J. Giles: Tumor mutation burden to predict progression in highrisk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Poster presented at 2017 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium, Orlando Florida; J Clin Oncol 35, 2017 (suppl 6S; abstract 397)
3. Ricardo Lima Barros Costa, Benedito A. Carneiro, Alfred Rademaker, Mark Agulnik, Victoria Meucci Villaflor, Maria Matsangou, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, Aparna Kalyan, Young Kwang Chae, Sunandana Chandra, Jason B. Kaplan, Massimo Cristofanilli, Francis J. Giles: oxicity profile of approved anti-PD1 monoclonal antibodies in solid tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. – poster presented at ASCO annual meeting 2016, Chicago, IL; J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr 3064)
4. Halla Sayed Nimeiri, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, E. Gabriela Chiorean, Alfred Rademaker, Sheetal Mehta Kircher, Mary Frances Mulcahy, Steven J. Cohen, Crystal Shereen Denlinger, Vaibhav Sahai, Mark Zalupski, Jordan Berlin, Al Bowen Benson III: Safety and efficacy of combination of temozolomide and pazopanib in patients with advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PNET) – ASCO annual meeting 2016; J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e15662)
5. Daniel Olson, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, Aparna Kalyan, Ricardo Lima Barros Costa, Sunandana Chandra, Benedito A. Carneiro, Young Kwang Chae, Jason B. Kaplan, Maria Matsangou, Nike Beaubier, Mary Frances Mulcahy, Massimo Cristofanilli, Francis J. Giles: Genomic Aberrations in advanced solid malignancies using Next Generation Sequencing – A single institution experience. ASCO annual meeting 2016; J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e23206)
6. Master SR, Pai SG, Dwary A, Patel A, Shi R, Mills G, Peddi P, Koshy N: Outcomes of American Burkitt’s Lymphoma in HIV and Non HIV Patients Treated with RituxanHyper CVAD Regimen. a Single Center Retrospective Study: poster presented at ASBMT Tandem meeting 2016.
7. Elizabeth Ellent, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, Ashley Chasick, Qingyang Luo, Charles V. Wendling, Robert Emmons, Ochsner Cancer Institute, New Orleans, LA; Effect of dose of melphalan used in conditioning regimen on outcomes of autologous stem cell transplantation in overweight/obese patients with multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol 33, 2015 (suppl; abstr e18014)
8. Kartik Anand, Sachin Pai, Erkut Borazanci , Runhua Shi, Syed H Jafri and Glenn Mills. Prognosis of baseline absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) and neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma – Poster presented at AACR annual conference in Philadelphia, April 2015
9. Pai SG, Fuloria J, Joshi V. Single center early experience of Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) for evaluation of high grade dysplasia or early cancer in Barrett’s esophagus – Poster presented at GI ASCO 2015 at San Francisco, CA
10. Ellent E, Pai SG, Chasick A, Wendling C, Emmons R. Dosing of Melphalan for conditioning regimen for Autologous stem cell transplantation in Obese patients with multiple myeloma - Outcomes study – presented at Ochsner research day, new Orleans 2015
11. Chang O Son, Sachin Gopalkrishna Pai, Suma Satti, Adriana Dornelles, John S. Bolton, W. Charles Conway, Jyotsna Fuloria. Outcomes of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with FOLFOX/FOLFIRINOX and chemoradiotherapy in borderline resectable pancreatic cancer: Single-institution experience. Poster presented at: 2014 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, San Francisco, CA
12. Acharya M, Pai, SG, Hayat S. Curious case of a pruritic rash in a young HIV positive male. Poster presented at: 2012 Mississippi and Louisiana Chapter Meeting; Point clear, AL.
13. Pai SG, Shivashankara KN, Sheshadri S. Conn’s syndrome- a case report- Oral presentation Hypertension Society of India conference Manipal, India – 2006.
14. Pai SG, Rakshith KC, Rao, SN. Breast tuberculosis with multiple ring enhancing lesions in the Brain – A case report – poster presented at Karnataka association of physicians of India conference, Bangalore, India – 2006.
15. Pai SG, Kamath PK, Pai N, Kusugal A. Primary systemic amyloidosis – a case report at Cardiology society of India Karnataka Chapter, Mysore, India – 2005.
16. Pai SG, Salins N, Acharya R, Rao, NR, A short Clinical case series of panhypopituitarism- Oral presentation at Karnataka association of physicians of India conference, Tumkur, India – 2004.
1. Pai, Sachin G, Matrana, Marc: Renal Medullary cancer In: Rare Genitourinary Tumors; 2016 Publisher: Springer International Publishing DOI 10.1007/978-3-319- 30046-7
1. Ochsner translational Medicine Research Iniitatve (OTMRI) Intramural grant. (PI – Jyotsna Fuloria, Co PI - Sachin Pai) for collaborative research with TGen, Phoenix for isolating pancreatic cancer stem cells and stellate cells and developing Xenograft models for testing drugs and Genetic studies from pancreatic cancer specimen.
- Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Oncology, University of South Alabama’s Mitchell cancer Institute, 3/2017-present
- Problem Based Learning (PBL) instructor to Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, 2015-2017
- As Fellow at Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana involved in Friday School - Internal Medicine resident teaching program. Provided mentorship to Internal Medicine residents on 2 quality improvement projects, 2013-2015
- As intern and resident at LSUHSC, Shreveport, Louisiana involved in teaching medical students, 2010-2013
- As Assistant Professor of Internal medicine and Medical Oncology at KMC Manipal, Involved in teaching Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences students and Internal Medicine residents. Provided mentorship for medical school students research and Internal Medicine resident thesis projects, 2007-2010
- As Junior Resident in Internal Medicine at KMC Manipal, involved in teaching Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences students, 2004-2007
© 2018 USA Health