Rodney P. Rocconi, M.D.
Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology
Abraham A. Mitchell Clinical Cancer Research Scholar
Associate Director for Clinical Research
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Development of screening tests for ovarian and endometrial cancer
- B.S., University of Mississippi
- M.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital
- Fellow / Instructor in Gynecologic Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital
Medical Licensure: - Alabama Medical License #24356 Board Certifications: - American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Board Certified in Gynecologic Oncology
- Deputy Associate Director for Clinical Research, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2011-present)
Abraham A. Mitchell Cancer Research Scholar
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in Departments of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Cell Biology &
Neuroscience, University of South Alabama (2007-present)
- Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology & Abraham A. Mitchell Cancer Research Scholar, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2007-present)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (2010)
- Gynecologic Cancer Foundation (GCF) Ovarian Cancer Research Grant-Sherri’s From a Whisper to a Roar/Women’s Motorcycle Foundation Ovarian Cancer Research Award (2010)
- Alabama Launchpad Business Plan Competition Second Prize Winner - Swift Biotechnology Gynecologic Cancer Screening Tests (2010)
- USA Medical Student Honors Convocation- Recognition for Most Meaningful Input into Medical Education to the Class of 2010 (2010)
- National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (2008)
- Gynecologic Oncology Group Young Investigator Award (2007)
- American College of Surgeons, William Maddox Cancer Research Award (2005)
- Recipient, NIH T32 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (2004)
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists- Full Member
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG)-Fellow (FACOG)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- Mobile County Medical Society (MCMS)
Other Professional Honors / Services:
- Reviewer, Department of Defense, Ovarian Cancer Research Program Scientist, 2009
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, Executive Council Representative, 2009
- Reviewer for peer reviewed journals: Gynecologic Oncology and International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer, 2008-present
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Marketing and Communications, 2009-present
1. Matthews KS, Rocconi RP, Hoskins KE, Kemper MK, Wang W, Straughn JM, Jr. The Impact of Age on the Treatment and Survival of Ovarian Cancer Patients. Clinical Ovarian Cancer 2010; 3(2): 122-125.
2. Finan MA, Silver S, Otts E, RP Rocconi. A Comprehensive Method to Train Obstetric and Gynecology Residents in Robotic Surgery. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2010; 4(3): 183-190.
3. Rocconi RP, Long B, Sullivan P, Blaize M, Brown J, Arbuckle J, Bevis K, Estes JM, Reed E, Finan MA. Society of Gynecologic Oncology Meeting Highlights Progress: Treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA) in ovarian cancer patients: Does the use of erythropeoietic stimulating agents (ESA) worsen survival? Journal of National Cancer Institute 2011; 103(7) 533-534.
4. Ray A, Meng E, Reed E, Shevde LA, Rocconi RP. Hedgehog signaling pathway regulates the growth of ovarian cancer spheroid forming cells. International Journal of Oncology 2011; 39: 797-804.
5. Whitworth J, Matthews KS, Finan MA, Reed E, Straughn JM Jr., Rocconi RP. Double Prophylaxis for Deep Venous Thrombosis in Gynecologic Oncology Patients Undergoing Laparotomy: Does Preoperative Anticoagulation Matter? International Journal of Gynecologic Cancers 2011; 21(6): 1131-1134.
6. McCoy A, Finan MA, Boudreaux FT, Tucker JA, Lazarchick JJ, Donnell RM, Rocconi RP. The Incidence and Clinical Significance of Lumph Node Micrometastases determined by Immunohistochemical Staining in Stage I-Lymph node Negative Endometrial Cancer. Histology and Histopathology 2012; 27: 181-185. PMID 22207552.
7. Rocconi RP, Meredith C, Finan MA. Evaluation of the learning curve of robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy with lymphadenectomy for gynecologic malignancies. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2011; 5(3): 189-193.
8. Meng E, Taylor B, Ray A, Shevde LA, Rocconi RP. Targeted inhibition of telomerase activity demonstrates synergy with chemotherapy in ovarian cancer spheroid forming cells. Gynecologic Oncology 2012; 124: 598-605.
9. Smith A, Rocconi RP, Finan MA. Signs of aging or vague symptoms of ovarian cancer? Oncology Nursing Forum 2012; 39(2): 150-156.
10. Finan MA, Harris JA, Fisher AM, Bradley K, Henslee H, Rocconi RP. Magnetic Resonance of Computerized Tomography Imaging to Predict Difficulty of Robotic Surgery for Endometrial Cancer Journal of Robotic Surgery 2012; 6(2): 131-137. DOI: 10.1007/s11701-011-0281-8.
11. Rocconi RP, Long B, Sullivan P, Blaize M, Brown J, Arbuckle J, Bevis K, Estes JM, Reed E, Finan MA. Treatment of Chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA) in ovarian cancer patients: Does the use of erythropeoietic stimulating agents (ESA) worsen survival? International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2012; 22(5): 786-91. PMID 2255832.
12. Meng E, Shevde, Reed E, Ong B, Sullivan P, Finan MA, Rocconi RP. Identification and characterization of CD44+/CD24-ovarian cancer stem cells properties and their correlation to survival. Clinical & Experimental Metastasis 2012; Epub ahead of print. PMID 22610780.