Lewis K. Pannell, Ph.D.
Professor of Oncologic Sciences, Head, Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Laboratory Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Identifying proteomic biomarkers using proteomic and glycomic methods for the early detection and monitoring of cancer
- Special interest in cancers that are diagnosed late stage such as ovarian and pancreatic cancer - Developing new screening methods for issues such as complications of pregnancy
- Methods to improve the test for prostate cancer
- B.S., Chemistry, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Professor of Oncologic Sciences, Head, Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2002-present)
- Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Alabama (2002-present)
- Senior Investigator, National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland (1983-2002)
- Forensic Toxicologist, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Christchurch, New Zealand (1975-1983)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Award for outstanding achievement in Mathematics and Computer Science presented by Washington Academy of Sciences (1996)
- U.S. #12/646,592. Novel Molecular Assay and uses Thereof. Filed 12/23/09
- Patent #61520108. Iron Modified Peptides as Biomarkers of Gynecologic Malignancies. Filed 6/3/2011
- Pct/Us2011/051269. Non-Invasive Methods of Detecting Target Molecules. Filed 9/12/2011
Other Professional Honors / Services:
- Principal Investigator, NIH, (1R21CA122570-01A2), Profiling Urine Glycosylation of PSA and other Glyco-Biomarkers in Prostate Cancer, 2007-2010
- Principal Investigator, NIH, (1R01DK073808-01A2), Protein Alterations in Skeletal Muscle Cells with Improved mtDNA repair, 2007-2011
- Principal Investigator, DOD, (Baraniuk), Exercise-Induced Cerebrospinal Fluid Proteomic Biomarkers of Fatigue, 2009-2012
1. Mitra, A., Menezes, M.E., Pannell, L.K., Mulekar, M.S., Honkanen, R.E., Shevde, L.A., and Samant, R.S. “DNAJB6 chaperones PP2A mediated dephosphorylation of GSK3ß to down regulate ß-catenin transcription target, osteopontin”. Oncogene 2012.
2. L. G. Harris , L. K. Pannell, S. Singh , R. S. Samant, L. A. Shevde “Increased Vascularity And Spontaneous Metastasis Of Breast Cancer By Hedgehog Signaling Mediated Upregulation Of Cyr61” Oncogene 2011.
3. Pannell, L.K., Mott, A., Rizk, C.B.; Non-invasive diagnosis of endometriosis with proteomic technologies. Chapter 9 in Human Assisted Reproductive Technology, 2011, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge UK, Eds. Gardner, Rizk and Falcone
4. L. K. Pannell, A. R. Mott, C.B. Rizk ” Non-invasive diagnosis of endometriosis with proteomic technologies” In “Human Assisted Reproductive Technology” Chapter 9, Edited by David K. Gardner, Botros R. M. B. Rizk, Tommaso Falcone, for Cambridge University Press (2011).
5. Ren S, Liu S, Howell PM Jr, Zhang G, Pannell L, Samant R, Shevde-Samant L, Tucker JA, Fodstad O, Riker AI: Functional characterization of the progesterone-associated endometrial protein gene in human melanoma. J Cell Mol Med. 2010 Jun;14(6B):1432-42.
6. Barsoum, A., Bainan, L., Rohrer, J., Coggin, Jr., J., Tucker, Al, Pannell, L., Schwarzenberger, P.: Production, Safety and Anti-Tumor Efficacy of recombinant Oncofetal Antigen/Immature Laminin Receptor Protein. Biomaterials 2009.
7. Mbeunkui, F., Metge, B.J., Shevde, L.A., Pannell, L.K., Identification Of Differentially Secreted Biomarkers Using LC-MS/MS in Isogenic Cell Lines Representing a Progression of Breast Cancer; J. Proteome Res.6(8): 2993-3002, 2007. PMCID: PMC2584611. PMID: 17608509.
© 2017 USA Health System