Komaraiah Palle, Ph.D. (Kumar)
Abraham Mitchell Cancer Research Scholar, Assistant Professor of Oncologic Sciences
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Molecular carcinogenesis mechanisms
- Genome instability syndromes (Fanconi anemia and BRCA genes)
- Ubiquitin ligases and their role in DNA damage response and repair
- Cell cycle regulation and DNA replication
- DNA topoisomerases and their inhibitors
- Hedgehog/Gli1 signaling
- Epigenetic mechanisms in regulation of cell cycle and DNA repair
- Molecular cancer therapeutics
- Mechanistic studies on natural and dietary compounds
- B.S., Biology & Chemistry, Kakatiya University, India (1994)
- M.S., Biotechnology, Acharya Nagarjuna University, India (1996)
- Ph.D., Genetics, Osmania University, India (2003)
- Visiting Scientist- (Carl-Triggers Fellowship)-Linkoeping University, Sweden (2002-2003)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenn. (2003-2009)
- Assistant Professor - Department of Oncologic Sciences, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Ala., USA (2012-Present)
- Abraham Mitchell Cancer Research Scholar, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Ala. (2012-Present)
- Assistant Professor (Adjunct) Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Ala., USA (2013-Present)
- Member Graduate Faculty, University of South Alabama (2013-present)
- Research Associate/ Assistant Professor - Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C., (2009 – 2012)
Professional Honors and Awards:
- Senior Research Fellowship from Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (1999-2002).
- First prize for the best presentation in BIOHORIZON2001, 3rd National Symposium in Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology, February 23-24 at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (2001)
- Carl-Triggers Foundation Visiting Scholar Fellowship, Linkoeping University, Linkoeping, Sweden (2002-2003)
- Travel Grant to Young Investigators Meeting 2011, India
- Abraham Mitchell Cancer Research Scholar (2012)
- Kothayer H, Spencer S, Tripathi K, Westwell AD and Palle K (2016) Synthesis and in vitro anticancer evaluation of some 4,6-diamino1,3,5triazine-2-carbohydrazides as Rad6 Ubiquitin conjugating enzyme inhibitors. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 26(8):2030-4. PMID: 26965855; PMCID: PMC4808444
- Tripathi k, Mani C, Clark D, Barnett R, Palle K (2016) Rad18 is required for functional interactions between FANCD2, BRCA2, and Rad51 to repair DNA topoisomerase 1-poisons induced lesions and promote fork recovery. Oncotarget. (Epub ahead of print). PMID: 26871286
- Rani V, Deep G, Singh RK and Palle K, Yadav UCS (2016) Oxidative Stress in Metabolic Disorders: Pathogenesis, Prevention, and Therapeutics. Life Sciences. S0024-3205(16)30052-2; PMID: 26851532 (Invited review).
- Somasagara RS, Tripathi K, Spencer SM, Clark DW, Barnett R, Bachaboina L, Scalici J, Rocconi RP, Piazza GA, Palle K (2016) Rad6 upregulation promotes stem cell-like characteristics and platinum resistance in ovarian cancer. Biochem Biophy Res Commun. 469, 449-455. PMID: 26679603; PMCID: PMC4715924
- Clark DW, Tripathi K, Dorsman JC and Palle K (2015) FANCJ deficiency compromises the stability of FANCD2/FANCI complex and promotes their degradation in a Caspase-3 mediated mechanism. Oncotarget, 6 (30); 28816-32. PMID:26336824
- Palle K*, Mani C, Tripathi K and Athar M. (2015) Aberrant GLI1 Activation in DNA Damage Response, Carcinogenesis and Chemoresistance. Cancers, 7, 2330-2352. (invited review), PMID: 26633513; PMCID: PMC4695894
- Tripathi K, Hussein UK, Anupalli R, Barnett R, Bachaboina L, Scalici J, Rodney RP, Owen LB, Piazza GA and Palle K (2015) Allyl isothiocyanate induces replication-associated DNA damage response in NSCLC cells and sensitizes to ionizing radiation. Oncotarget 10;6(7):5237-52; PMID: PMID:25742788; PMCID: PMC4467145
- Srivastava RK, Kaylani SZ, Nayf Edrees, Li C, Talwelkar SS, Xu J, Palle K, Pressey JG, Mohammad Athar (2014) GLI inhibitor GANT-61 diminishes rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) growth and aggressive tumor phenotype by targeting proliferation and epithelial mesenchymal transition. Oncotarget 5(23):12151-65; PMID: 25432075; PMCID:PMC4322980
- Tripathi K, Mani C, Barnett R, Nalluri S, Bachaboina L, Rocconi RP, Athar A, Owen LB, Palle K (2014) Gli1 regulates S-phase checkpoint in tumor cells via Bid and its inhibition sensitizes them to DNA topoisomerase 1 inhibitors. Journal of Biological Chemistry 289(45):31513-25. PMID: 25253693; PMCID: PMC4223349
- Meng E, Mitra A, Tripathi K, Finan MA, Scalici J, McClellan S, Reed E, Shevde LA, Palle K*, Rocconi RP * (2014). ALDH1A1 maintains ovarian cancer stem cell-like properties by altered regulation of cell cycle checkpoint and DNA repair network signaling, PLoS One 9(9):e107142. (* Co-corresponding authors). PMID:25216266; PMCID:PMC4162571This article was highlighted in the Cancer Stem Cell News. http://www.cancerstemcellnews.com/issue/volume-3-36-sep-17/
- Barkley LR*, Palle K*, Durando M*, Day TA, Gurkar A, Kakusho Masai NH, Vaziri C (2012) c-Jun N-terminal Kinase (JNK)-Mediated Rad18 Phosphorylation Facilitates Recruitment of Pol??to Stalled Replication Forks. Mol Biol Cell. 23(10):1943-54; PMID: 22456510; PMCID: PMC3350557
- Palle K*, Vaziri C (2011). Rad18-mediated activation of fanconi anemia pathway in response to Top1 inhibitor camptothecin. Cell Cycle 10(10): 1625-38; PMID: 21478670; PMCID: PMC3127162 (*corresponding author). Selected for featuring in News and Views. Written by Dr. Anindya Dutta (University of Virginia) and Dr. Satoshi Tateishi (Kumamoto University, Japan.
- Day T, Palle K, Barkley LR, Yoshizawa-Sugata N, Zou Y, Tateishi S, Verreault A, Masai H, Vaziri C. (2010) Cdc7-mediated posphorylation of Rad18 directs the accumulation of DNA polymerase eta at sites of stalled replication. Journal of Cell Biology 191(5):953-66; PMID: 21098111; PMCID: PMC299517
- Song IY*, Palle K*, Gurkar A, Tateishi S, Kupfer GM and Vaziri C (2010) Rad18-mediated trans-lesion synthesis of bulky DNA adducts is coupled to activation of the fanconi anemia DNA repair pathway. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285:31525-36; PMID: 20675655; PMCID: PMC2951227 (*contributed equally).
- Palle K, Pattarello L, van der Merwe M, Benedetti P, Bjornsti M-A (2008) Disulfide crosslinks reveal conserved features of DNA topoisomerase I architecture and a role for the N-terminus in clamp closure. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 27767-75, PMID: 18693244. PMCID: PMC2562070
- Koster DA, Palle K, Bot ESM, Bjornsti M-A, Dekker NH (2007) “Antitumor drugs impede DNA uncoiling by Topoisomerase I”, Nature 448: 213-7; PMID: 17589503. (with cover illustration) and Research comment highlighted, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 14:688, 2007). Featured in Nature Podcasts and many national and international news.
- Koster DA, Czerwinski F, Halby L, Crut A, Vekhoff P, Palle K, Arimondo P, Dekker NH (2008) Single-molecule observations of topotecan-mediated TopIB activity at a unique DNA sequence. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 2301-10; PMID: 18292117; PMCID: PMC2367732
- Montaudon D*, Palle K*, Rivory LP, Robert J, Douat-Casassus C, Quideau S, Bjornsti M-A, Pourquier P (2007) Inhibition of Topoisomerase I cleavage activity by thiol-reactive compounds: importance of vicinal cysteines 504 and 505. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 14403-12; PMID: 17355975. (*Contributed equally).
- Losasso C, Cretario E, Palle K, Pattarello L, Bjornsti M-A, Benedetti P (2007) Alterations in linker flexibility suppress DNA Topoisomerase I mutant-induced cell lethality. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 9855-64; PMID: 17276985.
- Komaraiah P, Kavi Kishor P.B., Carlsson M, Magnusson KE, Mandenius CF (2005) Enhancement of anthraquinone accumulation in Morinda citrifolia suspension cultures. Plant Science 168: 1337-44.
- Komaraiah P, Navratil M, Carlsson M, Jeffers P, Brodelius M, Brodelius PE, Kieran PM, Mandenius CF. (2004) Growth behavior in plant cell cultures based on emissions detected by a multi-sensor array. Biotechnol Prog 20:1245-50; PMID: 15296455.
- Komaraiah P, Reddy GV, ReddyPS, Raghavendra AS, Ramakrishna SV, Reddanna P (2003) Elicitor induced enhanced production of antimicrobial sesquiterpenes and lipoxygenase metabolites from potato hairy root cultures. Biotechnology Lett 25: 593-97.