- Neurology eLibrary - textbooks for required and supplemental readings (courtesy of USA Biomedical Library)
- Search the USA Electronic Library
Clerkship required readings
- Review on seizures and epilepsy from Conn's Current Therapy(PDF)
- Required chapters from Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology
- NIH Stroke Scale online training (required for 3rd year Clerkship; Certificate of completion from Test "A" must be submitted to Clerkship Coordinator by the end of the third week)
Clerkship required viewing
- Neurological Exam (courtesy University of Virginia)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Essential Tremor
- Muscular Dystrophy
Clerkship suggested readings
It is very important to read about your patients' disorders to reinforce your knowledge. The following are excellent references:
- Adams and Victors' Principles of Neurology (Ropper and Samuels, eds) is a standard in neurology; it is easy to read, and covers basic signs and symptoms of neurologic illness. In addition to the required readings above, you may find other chapters very useful. Access to the textbook is available online free of charge through the University of South Alabama Biomedical LIbrary website. If you are off-campus you will need your J-number to access this.
- Clinical Neurology (Simon, et al) is a good brief synopsis of neurology and can be used an an alternate reference for this clerkship.
- Eye and pupillary movement simulator (courtesy of UC-Davis) Allows you to see what EOM abnormalities look like.
- Brain vascular territories (courtesy Dr. Smithuis, Rijnland Hospital in Leiderdorp, Netherlands) Nice illustration on CT and MRI of brain of areas affected by occlusions of specific blood vessels. (However, emboli are NOT a common cause of lacunar stroke)
- Draw it to know it (courtesy University of Indiana) This tutorial teaches you neural pathways by having you draw schematics. A companion book is available.
- Introduction to EEG
- NASCET criteria for carotid ultrasound studies
- E&M Coding information (PDF, written by Marc Nuwer for AAN)
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (to detect Mild Cognitive Impairment)
- UPDR Parkinson Disease Scale
- USAMC / USACW Initial Evaluation form
- USAMC Stroke Initial Evaluation form
- Infirmary West Initial Evaluation form
- EEG ruler (be sure to turn off "fit to page" option when printing)
- Videotaping release form