USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Tumors of the upper gastrointestinal tract including: pancreatic cancer, gastric cancer, colorectal cancer, liver tumors (primary and metastatic), biliary tract cancers (gallbladder, bile duct), gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), small bowel tumors, neuroendocrine tumors (including carcinoid tumors).
- Sarcoma (both extremity and retroperitoneal) and melanoma.
- BSc / M.B. and B.S., University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney, NSW, Australia
US Surgical training:
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/ Washington University in St. Louis, Resident in General Surgery (2003-2005)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/ Washington University in St. Louis, Resident in General Surgery (2008-2010)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/ Washington University in St. Louis, Chief Resident in General Surgery (2010-2011)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, Surgical Oncology Fellow (2011-2013)
- John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, NSW, Australia: Internship (2002)
- Ultrasound for Surgeons: the Basic Course: American College of Surgeons Division of Education (2004)
- 16th Annual Fundamentals of Surgical Research Course: Association for Academic Surgery; San Francisco, California (2005)
- SAGES Residents’ Workshop: GI Endoscopy & Laparoscopy: An Introduction for Surgeons, Endo-Surgery Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio (2008)
- 8th Annual Career Development Course: Association for Academic Surgery; Chicago, Illinois (2012)
- HPB Ultrasound and Advanced Technology Course: Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Annual Meeting; Miami, Florida (2014)
- Vacation Research Scholar, National Heart Foundation of Australia UNSW, Sydney, Australia. Investigation of the fetal cardio-vascular and renin-angiotensin systems. (1996-1997 & 1997-1998)
- Fellow in Surgical Research, Laboratory of Biologic Cancer Therapy, WUSTL (2005-2008)
- Instructor: Mini Medical School, Washington University School of Medicine (2007)
- Resident Teaching Award, Washington University School of Medicine (2011)
- Moderator, USA Medical Center Tumor Board (2013-2014)
- Co-Moderator, USA Medical Center Tumor Board (2014)
-American Board of Surgery
- Education Planning Committee, Washington University School of Medicine (2007-2008)
- Information Technology Committee, University of South Alabama (2013-present)
- Chair, GI Oncology Working Group, University of South Alabama Mitchell Cancer Institute (2014)
- Melanoma Working Group, University of South Alabama Mitchell Cancer Institute (2014)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- UNSW Alumni Association Scholarship, Academic achievement–based scholarship (1996-1999)
- Australian Music Examinations Board, Associate Diploma in Music (A.Mus.A.) in Pianoforte (1996)
- Certificate, Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) (2010)
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery (2011)
- David and Monica Gorin Sarcoma Fellow: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, recognized for advancing the care of patients with sarcoma through research and clinical excellence (2012-2013)
- Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (AHPBA) (2005-present)
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) (2011-present)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2013-present)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) (2014-present)
Other Professional Honors / Services:
- Invited reviewer, Annals of Surgical Oncology (2010)
1. Tan MCB, Mutch MG. Hemangiomas of the pelvis. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 2006; 19:94-101.
2. Lin Y, Goedegebuure PS, Tan MC, Gross J, Malone JP, Feng S, Larson J, Phommaly C, Trinkaus K, Townsend RR, Linehan DC. Proteins associated with disease and clinical course in pancreas cancer: a proteomic analysis of plasma in surgical patients. J Proteome Res 2006; 5(9):2169-76.
3. Tan MCB, Linehan DC, Hawkins WG, Siegel BA, Strasberg SM. Chemotherapy-Induced Normalization of FDG Uptake by Colorectal Liver Metastases Does Not Usually Indicate Complete Pathologic Response. J Gastroint Surg 2007; 11:1112-1119.
4. Tan MCB, Castaldo ET, Gao F, Chari RS, Linehan DC, Wright JK, Hawkins WG, Siegel BA, Delbeke D, Pinson CW, Strasberg SM. A Prognostic System Applicable to Patients with Resectable Liver Metastasis from Colorectal Carcinoma Staged by Positron Emission Tomography with 18FFluoro-2-Deoxy-D-Glucose: Role of Primary Tumor Variables. J Am Coll Surg 2008; 206:857-68.
5. Hellstrom I, Friedman E, Verch T, Yang Y, Korach J, Jaffar J, Swisher E, Zhang B, Ben-Baruch G, Tan MCB, Goedegebuure P, Hellstrom KE. Anti-Mesothelin Antibodies and Circulating Mesothelin Relate to the Clinical State in Ovarian Cancer Patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 1520-1526.
6. Linehan DC, Tan MC, Strasberg SM, Drebin JA, Hawkins WG, Picus J, Myerson RJ, Malyapa RS, Hull M, Trinkaus K, Tan BR Jr. Adjuvant interferon-based chemoradiation followed by gemcitabine for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a single-institution phase II study. Ann Surg 2008;248:145-51.
7. Moo-Young TA, Larson JW, Belt BA, Tan MC, Hawkins WG, Eberlein TJ, Goedegebuure PS, Linehan DC. Tumor derived TGF-Beta mediates conversion of CD4+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells in a murine model of pancreas cancer. Journal of Immunotherapy 2009;32:12-21.
8. Tan MC, Goedegebuure PS, Belt BA, Flaherty B, Sankpal N, Gillanders WE, Eberlein TJ, Hsieh CS, Linehan DC. Disruption of CCR5-dependent homing of regulatory T cells inhibits tumor growth in a murine model of pancreatic cancer. J Immunol 2009;182:1746-55.
9. Tan MC, Mushawah FA, Gao F, Aft RL, Gillanders WE, Eberlein TJ, Margenthaler JA. Predictors of complete pathologic response after neoadjuvant systemic therapy for breast cancer. Arch Surg 2009; 198:520-5.
10. Johnston FM, Tan MCB, Tan BR, Linehan DC, Simon PO, Plambeck-Suess S, Eberlein TJ, Hellstrom KE, Hellstrom I, Hawkins WG, Goedegebuure P. Circulating Mesothelin Protein and Cellular anti-Mesothelin Immunity in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15:6511-8.
11. Al Mushawah F, Tan MC, Margenthaler JA. Residual nodal disease in biopsy proven n1/n2 breast cancer following neoadjuvant systemic therapy. World J Surg. 2010; 34:256-60.
12. Mushawah FA, Tan MC, Margenthaler JA. Axillary staging prior to or after neoadjuvant systemic therapy? A single institutional experience. J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jan 15.
13. Goedegebuure P, Mitchem JB, Porembka MR, Tan MC, Belt BA, Wang-Gillam A, Gillanders WE, Hawkins WG, Linehan DC. Myeloid-derived suppressor cells: general characteristics and relevance to clinical management of pancreatic cancer. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2011; 11:734-51.
14. Tan M, Howard A, Cyr A. Malignant melanoma of the breast: case report and review of the literature. Tumori. 2013; 99:11e-3e.
15. Tan MC, Butte JM, Gonen M, Kemeny N, Fong Y, Allen PJ, Kingham TP, DeMatteo RP, Jarnagin WR, D'Angelica MI. Prognostic significance of early recurrence: a conditional survival analysis in patients with resected colorectal liver metastasis. HPB (Oxford). 2013;15: 803-13.
16. Tan MC, Jarnagin WR. Surgical management of non-colorectal hepatic metastasis. J Surg Oncol. 2014;109(1):8-13.
17. Tan MCB, Yoon SS. Surgical management of retroperitoneal and pelvic sarcomas. J Surg Oncol 2014 (accepted).
18. Tan MCB, Avidan M. GI Motility Problems. In: Avidan M, Barnett KM, Hill LL, Hopley L, Jones N, van Schalkwyk JM (eds.), Intensive Care ICT: An illustrated colour text. London: Churchill Livingstone, 2007.
19. Tan MCB, Goedegebuure PS, Eberlein TJ. Tumor Biology and Tumor Markers. In: Townsend CM (Editor-in-chief), Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 18th Edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2007.
20. Tan MCB, Chapman WC. Surgical Diseases of the Liver. In: Glasgow S, Chen LE, Klingensmith ME (eds.), The Washington University Manual of Surgery, 5th Edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer 2008.
21. Tan MCB. Respiratory Arrest. In: Tribble CG, Hobson CE, Thaemert NL (eds.), ICU Recall, 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2009.
22. Tan MCB, Goedegebuure PS, Eberlein TJ. Tumor Biology and Tumor Markers. In: Townsend CM (Editor-in-chief), Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 19th Edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2012.
23. Tan MCB, Strasberg SM. Biliary Surgery. In: Klingensmith ME, Aziz A, Bharat A, Fox AC, Porembka MR (eds.), The Washington University Manual of Surgery, 6th Edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer 2012.
24. Tan MCB, Allen PJ. Surgical Management of IPMN Lesions. In: Beger HG, Nakao A, Neoptolemus JP, Peng SY, Sarr M (eds.), Pancreatic Cancer, Cystic-Neoplastic, Endocrine and Inflammatory Tumors of the Pancreas. New Jersey: Wiley Blackwell, 2013 (in press).
25. Tan MCB, Singer S. Retroperitoneal Liposarcoma. In: Lillemoe KD, de Moya M, House M, Hutter M (eds.), Clinical Decision Support System on Surgery (accepted).
© 2017 USA Health System