Michael A. Finan, M.D.
Chief of Gynecologic Oncology,
Professor of Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Cancers affecting women including cervical, vaginal, endometrial, vulvar, fallopian tube and ovarian cancer, as well as gestational trophoblastic neoplasia
- B.A., University of New Orleans
- M.D., Louisiana State University Medical Center School of Medicine, Shreveport
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida at Tampa General Hospital and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Fellow / Instructor in Gynecologic Oncology, University of South Florida at Tampa General Hospital and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Completed Training for daVinci Robotic Surgery and currently credentialed to perform robotic surgery at Mobile Infirmary Medical Center
- Alabama Medical License
- Louisiana Medical License
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Board Certified in Gynecologic Oncology
- Chief of Gynecologic Oncology, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2005-present)
- Professor Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of South Alabama (2005-present)
- Gynecologic Oncologist, Mobile Infirmary (2007-present)
- Residency Program Director, Ochsner Clinic Foundation Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program (2003-2005)
- Director Obstetrics & Gynecology Resident Research, Ochsner Clinic Foundation Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program (1994-2005)
- Gynecologic Oncologist, Ochsner Clinic Foundation Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program (1992-2005)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Council for Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (2000)
- Best Doctors in New Orleans: New Orleans Magazine (2001-2004)
- Best Doctors in America: Ladies Home Journal (2002)
- Council for Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (2006)
- Best Teaching Faculty, USA Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology (2007)
- Reviewer for Journals: Gynecologic Oncology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Southern Medical Journal (1994-Present)
- Council for Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (tied with Dr. Rod Rocconi) (2008)
- Reviewer for Journal: BioMed Central (2010)
- FBI Citizens Academy (2010)
- Christ the King Award, Archdiocese of Mobile (2010)
- USA MCI Research Colloquium: Outstanding Oral Presentation Title: Novel Method of Screening for Endometrial Cancer (2011)
- Best Doctors in America: U.S. News and World Report (2011)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Diplomat
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG)-Fellow (FACOG)
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Jefferson Parish Medical Society
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists - Full Member
- American Cancer Society, Louisiana Division
- American Cancer Society, Mid-South Division
Other Professional Honors / Services:
- Board of Directors, American Cancer Society Mid-South Division, 1992-2002
- Director of Cancer Update Continuing Medical Education Meeting, American Cancer Society, Louisiana Division, 1994-1997
- Director of Cancer Update, Continuing Medical Education Meeting
American Cancer Society, Mid-South Division 1997-1998
- Project Chairman, Hope Lodge in New Orleans
- Chairman, Cancer Committee, Ochsner Foundation Hospital, 1999-2005
- Chairman, Task Force for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Program,
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, 2004-2005
- Board of Directors South Louisiana Medical Associates, 2003-2005
- Member of Executive Planning Committee for the Ochsner Cancer Institute new building and program
- Chairman Mobile Infirmary Surgery Committee, 2008-Present
- Novel Molecular Assay and Uses Thereof, Patent Application No. 12/646,592 filed on December 23, 2009, Co-Inventors: Lewis Pannell, Michael A. Finan, Rodney P. Rocconi
- Iron Modified Peptides as Biomarkers of Gynecologic Malignancies, Patent Application Filed: 06/03/2011, Serial Number: 61/520,108, Co-Inventors: Lewis Pannell, Michael A. Finan, Rodney P. Rocconi
- Methods and Compositions for Detecting Endometrial or Ovarian Cancer, Patent Application Filed: 06/01/2012, Serial Number: 13/487,026, Co-Inventors: Michael A. Finan, Rodney P. Rocconi, Lewis Pannell
1. Bonilla DJ, Mains L, Whitaker R, Craword B, Finan MA, Magnus M. Uterine Weight as a Predictor of Morbidity After a Benign Abdominal and Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. J Reprod Med. Jun; 52(6): 490-498, 2007.
2. MA Finan, C Meredith, RP Rocconi; Overcoming Technical Challenges with Robotic Surgery in Gynecologic Oncology. Surgical Endoscopy; Volume 24, Issue 6 (2010), p. 1256
3. MA Finan, ME Clark, RP Rocconi; A Novel Method for Training Resident in Robotic Hysterectomy. Journal of Robotic Surgery; Vol. 4; Issue 1 (2010), p. 33.
4. MA Finan, S Silver, E Otts, RP Rocconi. A Comprehensive Method to Train Obstetric and Gynecology Residents in Robotic Surgery. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2010; 4 (3): 183-190.
5. J Whitworth, KS Matthews, MA Finan, E Reed, JM Straughn, Jr, RP Rocconi. Double Prophylaxis for Deep Venous Thrombosis in Gynecologic Oncology Patients Undergoing Laparotomy: Does Preoperative Anticoagulation Matter? International Journal of Gynecologic Cancers 2011; 21 (6): 1131-1134.
6. RP Rocconi, B Long, P Sullivan, M Blaize, J Brown, J Arbuckle, K Bevis, JM Estes, E Reed,
MA Finan. Society of Gynecologic Oncology Meeting Highlights Progress: Treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA) in ovarian cancer patients: Does the use of erythropeoietic stimulating agents (ESA) worsen survival? Journal of National Cancer Institute 2011; 103(7): 533-534
7. A McCoy, Finan MA, Boudreaux FT, Tucker JA, Lazarchick JJ, Donnell RM, Rocconi RP. The Incidence and Clinical Significance of Lymph Node Micrometastases determined by Immunohistochemical Staining in Stage I – Lymph Node Negative Endometrial Cancer. Histol Histopathol. 2012 Feb;27(2):181-185.
8. RP Rocconi, C Meredith, MA Finan. Evaluation of the learning curve of robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy with lymphadenectomy for gynecologic malignancies. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2011; 5 (3): 189-193.
9. MA Finan, JA Harris, AM Fisher, K Bradley, H Henslee, RP Rocconi; Magnetic Resonance or Computerized Tomography Imaging to Predict Difficulty of Robotic Surgery for Endometrial Cancer. In press - Journal of Robotic Surgery; Online version (SpringerLink) June, 2011.
10. X Li, J Zhang, L Gao, S McClellan, MA Finan, TW Butler, LB Owen, GA Piazza, Yaguang Xi; MiR-181 mediates cell differentiation by interrupting the Lin28 and let-7 feedback circuit. Cell Death and Differentiation. October 7, 2011, (127) 1-9.
11. A Smith , RP Rocconi, MA Finan. Signs of aging or vague symptoms of ovarian cancer? Oncol Nursing Forum: March 2012, (39) No. 2; E150 – E156.
12. RP Rocconi, B Long, P Sullivan, M Blaize, J Brown, J Arbuckle, K Bevis, JM Estes, E Reed, MA Finan. Treatment of Chemotherapy-induced Anemia (CIA) in Ovarian Cancer Patients: Does the use of Erythropeoietic Stimulating Agents (ESA) Worsen Survival? Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012 Jun;22(5):786-91.