Steve McClellan BS, MT (ASCP)
Manager, Flow Cytometry and Imaging Core Laboratories
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Cancer stem cell isolation and culture
- E Cadherin plasticity in cancer metastasis
- Targeted cancer stem cell therapies
- High throughput screening with cancer stem cells
- B.S. (Cell Biology), University of Florida
Professional Licensure: - Medical Technologist (American Society for Clinical Pathology)
- Manager, Flow Cytometry and Imaging Core Laboratories, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2010-present)
- Senior Biological Scientist, University of Florida - Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research
- Flow Cytometry Core Labs (2005-2010)
- President & CEO, BioConsulting Concepts (2001-2005)
- Senior Cytometry Account Manager, Beckman Coulter (1998-2001)
- Senior Research Associate, Nextran (1992-1998)
- Biological Scientist, University of Florida-Department of Pediatric Hematology & Oncology/ Shands Hospital Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (1985-1992)
- American Association of Cancer Research (2005-present)
- International Society for the Advancement of Cytometry (1987-present)
- International Society for Cellular Therapy (1988-present)
- The Transplantation Society (1992-2000)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Treasurer & Founding Member, Southeast Flow Cytometry Interest Group
- Quoted as an expert in the field of flow cytometry in the following editorial articles:
1) Ebb and Flow: Cytometry for the Next Generation, Science. 2010 Nov 330(6005):853-56.
2) No Mo’ Slow Flow: Tools and tricks for high-throughput flow cytometry, The Scientist Jan 1, 2012.
1. Kooyman DL, Byrne GW, McClellan S, Nielsen D, Tone M, Waldmann H, Coffman TM, McCurry KR, Platt JL, Logan JS. In vivo transfer of GPI-linked complement restriction factors from erythrocytes to the endothelium.
Science. 1995 Jul7;269(5220):89-92.
2. Kooyman DL, McClellan S, Parker W, Avissar PL, Velardo MA, Platt JL, Logan JS. Identification and characterization of a galactosyl peptide mimetic. Implications for use in removing xenoreactive anti-A Gal antibodies.
Transplantation. 1996 Mar 27;61(6):851-5.
3. Sharma A, Okabe J, Birch P, McClellan S, Martin MJ, Platt JL, Logan JS. Reduction in the level of Gal(alpha1,3)Gal in transgenic mice and pigs by the expression of an alpha(1,2)fucosyltransferase.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996 Jul 9;93(14):7190-5.
4. Byrne GW, McCurry KR, Martin MJ, McClellan S, Platt JL, Logan JS. Transgenic pigs expressing human CD59 and decay-accelerating factor produce an intrinsic barrier to complement-mediated damage.
Transplantation. 1997 Jan 15;63(1):149-55.
5. Levings PP, McGarry SV, Currie TP, Nickerson DM, McClellan S, Ghivizzani SC, Steindler DA, Gibbs CP. Expression of an exogenous human Oct-4 promoter identifies tumor-initiating cells in osteosarcoma.
Cancer Res. 2009 Jul 15;69(14):5648-55. Epub 2009 Jul 7.
6. Bae KM, Su Z, Frye C, McClellan S, Allan RW, Andrejewski JT, Kelley V, Jorgensen M, Steindler DA, Vieweg J, Siemann DW. Expression of pluripotent stem cell reprogramming factors by prostate tumor initiating cells.
J Urol. 2010 May;183(5):2045-53. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
7. Li X, Zhang J, Gao L, McClellan S, Finan MA, Butler TW, Owen LB, Piazza GA, Xi Y. MiR-181 mediates cell differentiation by interrupting the Lin28 and let-7 feedback circuit. Cell Death Differ. 2012 Mar;19(3):378-86
8. Meng E, Long B, Sullivan P, McClellan S, Finan MA, Reed E, Shevde L, Rocconi RP. CD44+/CD24- ovarian cancer cells demonstrate cancer stem cell properties and correlate to survival. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012 May; 29(8):939-48.
9. Cell-based selection provides novel molecular probes for cancer stem cells.
Sefah K, Bae KM, Phillips JA, Siemann DW, Su Z, McClellan S, Vieweg J, Tan W.
Int J Cancer. 2013 Jun 1;132(11):2578-88. Epub 2013 Feb 8.
10.miR-125b Functions as a Key Mediator for Snail-induced Stem Cell Propagation and Chemoresistance.
Liu Z, Liu H, Desai S, Schmitt DC, Zhou M, Khong HT, Klos KS, McClellan S, Fodstad O, Tan M.
J Biol Chem. 2013 Feb 8;288(6):4334-45.Epub 2012 Dec 19
© 2017 USA Health System