Marie Migaud, Ph.D.
Professor of Oncologic Sciences
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, AL 36604
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) metabolism and its impact on disease management, treatment and prevention
- Cellular metabolism and its relevance to health through balanced and informed vitamin supplementation
- Novel chemical entities as putatives anti-cancer lead compounds
- Higher Education Teaching Certificate, PGCHET, Queen’s University Belfast, UK (2002)
- Diplome d’ingenieur Chimiste, Ecole Superieure de Chimie Organique et Minerale (ESCOM) (eq. BSc in Chemistry + MEng), Paris, France (1986-1992)
- DEUG et License de Chimie Organique et Minerale, Paris VI, Universitee Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France (1986-1989)
Postgraduate Training and Research Fellowship Appointments:
- Postgraduate PhD. Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA (1991-1996)
- Postdoctoral fellow, School of Pharmacy, University of Bath, England, UK (1996-1998)
- Postdoctoral fellow, Chemistry Department, University of Oxford, England, UK (1998-2000)
Faculty Appointments (Include Secondary Appointments):
- Nov 2016-present - Professor of Oncologic Sciences, University of South Alabama, Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, AL, USA.
- Nov 2016-present - Visiting Professor in Medicinal and Biological Chemistry; School of Pharmacy, Queen’s University Belfast. Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
- Nov 2015-Oct 2016 - Levitt Visiting Faculty Professor; Department of Biochemistry; Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa city, IA, USA.
- Aug 2015-Oct 2016 - Professor in Medicinal and Biological Chemistry; School of Pharmacy, Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
- June 2010- July 2015 - Reader in Medicinal and Biological Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
- Jan 2008- June 2010 - Joint appointment as Senior Lecturer then Reader (eq. Associate Professor) in Organic and Biological Chemistry between the School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (CCE) and the Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology (CCRCB), Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
- July 2004-Aug 2008 - Senior Lecturer (eq. Associate Professor below bar) in Organic and Biological Chemistry; School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (CCE), Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.
- July 2000-June 2004 - Lecturer (eq. Assistant Professor) in Organic and Biological Chemistry; School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (CCE), Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
- July 2010-Oct 2016 - Head of the John King Laboratory, School of Pharmacy, Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
- Jan 2008-Aug 2009 - Director of the Medicinal Chemistry Research Section, CCRCB, QUB- member of management board.
- July 2006- Aug 2008 - Director of the Organic Chemistry Research Division, CCE, QUB- member of management board.
Awards and Honours:
- June 2015 - Helen C. Levitt Endowed Annual Visiting Professorship award- Carver College of Medicine; University of Iowa
- April 2014 - Silver UK Scientific Women Academic Network (SWAN) award; School of Pharmacy-QUB
- April 2010 - Silver SWAN award; School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering-QUB
- Nov 2008 - Bronze SWAN award; School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering-QUB
Research Grants, Contracts, Awards, Projects:
Title: “NAD deficiency or when vitamin B3 supplementation is not enough”
Source: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) (eq. NSF-Biology) (BB/N001842/1)
Dates: Jan. 1, 2016, to Dec. 31, 2018
Title: Manufacturing of a nature identical B-vitaminer.
Contributions to Scholarship or Service
- 2014-present - Consultant for ChromaDex Inc
- 2012-2014 - External MPharm Degree Examiner, School of Pharmacy, University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan.
- 2012 - Visiting lecturer at the University of Medicine, Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan.
- 2012-2014 - Advisor to Postgraduate MSc in Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Control, University of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan.
- 2010 - Structuring, implementing and driving a successful mentoring program at all levels of the academic stages– UG, PG, PDRA, Academics.
- June 2015 - SoapBox Belfast event (http://soapboxscience.org/) Outdoor Science Engagement event.
- 2014 - Poster showcasing the journey through the 2014 SWAN application of the school of Pharmacy; used widely by the Queen’s Gender Initiative to promote ATHENA SWAN activities at QUB
- 2013 - Surveys on Gender Equality and Diversity (Internal and external)
- 2013 - Surveys on Gender Bias and Unconscious Bias
- 2011-present - Networking with the SWAN champions of the Schools of Pharmacy of Manchester, Reading and Nottingham.
- 2010-present - Presentations on career progression in academia to PhD and PDRAs (>10 events)
- 2010-present - Presentations on maximizing impact of mentoring (>10 events)
- July 2001-present - RDS-award winning “Flash and Bang” talks (Title: “why is there a “C” in chemistry and “Smell-A volatile Chemistry”); Career talks to pupils; specifically addressing female pupils (>100 presentations).
- Kathryn F. Mills, Shohei Yoshida, Liana R. Stein, Alessia Grozio, Shunsuke Kubota, Yo Sasaki, Philip Redpath, Marie E. Migaud, Rajendra S. Apte, Rajendra S. Apte, Koji Uchida, Jun Yoshino, Shin ichiro Imai, Long-Term Administration of Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Mitigates Age-Associated Physiological Decline in Mice, 2016, vol. 24, issue 6, p. 795-806. Cell Metabolism
- Richard Cunningham, Nancy C. Forero-Martinez, Christopher Hardacre, Christopher Hardacre, Tristan G A Youngs, Marie E. Migaud, Solubility study of tobramycin in room temperature ionic liquids: an experimental and computational based study. 2016, vol. 6, issue 109, p. 107214-107218.
- Joanna Ratajczak · Magali Joffraud · Samuel A. J. Trammell ·[...] · Marie E. Migaud, [...], Charles Brenner and C. Carles Cantó, (2016) "NRK1 controls nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside metabolism in mammalian cells. Nature Commun. 10/2016; 7:13103. DOI:10.1038/ncomms13103
- Trammell […] P. Redpath, M. Migaud, C. Brenner (2016) Nicotinamide riboside is uniquely and orally bioavailable in mice and humans. Nature Commun. 10/2016; 7:12948. DOI:10.1038/ncomms12948.
- Frederick DW, Loro E, Liu L, Davila A, Chellappa K, Silverman IM, Quinn WJ, Gosai SJ, Tichy ED, Davis JG, Mourkioti F, Gregory BD, Dellinger RW, Redpath P, Migaud ME, Nakamaru-Ogiso E, Rabinowitz JD, Khurana TS, Baur JA. (2016) Loss of NAD Homeostasis Leads to Progressive and Reversible Degeneration of Skeletal Muscle. Cell Metab. 2016;24(2):269-82.
- Trammell, S. A. J., Yu, L., Redpath, P., Migaud, M. E., & Brenner, C. (2016). Nicotinamide Riboside Is a Major NAD+ Precursor Vitamin in Cow Milk. The Journal of Nutrition. 3945/jn.116.230078.
- Ashley S. Massey et al., E. Migaud, and Helen O. McCarthy. (2016) Potentiating the anti-cancer properties of bisphosphonates by nano-complexation with the cationic amphipathic peptide, RALA. First published 8th March 16, DOI: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.5b00670.
- Cristina Menni,, et al., Marie Migaud, Ana M. Valdes. (2016) Metabolomic profiling to dissect the role of visceral fat in cardiometabolic health. Obesity, 24(6), 1380–1388.
- Oueis E, Adamson C, Mann G, Ludewig H, Redpath P, Migaud M, Westwood NJ, Naismith JH. Derivatisable Cyanobactin Analogues: A Semisynthetic Approach. Chembiochem. 2015, 16(18):2646-50. doi: 10.1002/cbic.201500494.
- Kulikova, V.; Shabalin, K.; Nerinovski, K.; Redpath, P.; Migaud, M.; Ziegler, M.; Nikiforov, A. et al. Generation, Release, and Uptake of the NAD Precursor Nicotinic Acid Riboside by Human Cells, Biol. Chem. 2015, 290(45), 27124-27137.
- Crossey, K.; Cunningham, R.; Redpath, P.; Migaud M.E. Atom efficient synthesis of pyrimidine and purine nucleosides by ball milling. RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 58116 – 58119. DOI: 10.1039/C5RA12239B
- Crossey, K.; Migaud M.E. Solventless synthesis of acyl phosphonamidates, precursors to masked bisphosphonates Commun. 2015, 51, 11088-11091. DOI: 10.1039/C5CC03549J
- Redpath, P., Ness, K. A., Rousseau, J., Macdonald, S. J. F. & Migaud, M. E. Facile access to new C-glycosides and C-glycoside scaffolds incorporating functionalised aromatic moieties; 2015, Carbohydrate Research. 402, p. 25-34.
- Redpath, P., Haluszczak, J., Macdonald, S. J. & Migaud, M. E. Nicotinamide Benzimidazolide Dinucleotides, Non-Cyclisable Analogues of NAD+; 2014, 25, 16, p. 2331-2336.
- Fouquerel, Elise; Goellner, Eva M.; Yu, Zhongxun; Migaud M. E. ; Sobol, R. et al. ARTD1/PARP1 Negatively Regulates Glycolysis by Inhibiting Hexokinase 1 Independent of NAD(+) Depletion, CELL REPORTS , 2014,8(6), 1819- 1831.
- Allen, CCR, Boudet, C, Hardacre, C.; Migaud M. Enhancement of whole cell dioxygenase biotransformation by toxic ionic liquids. RSC Adv., 2014, 4(38), 19916 - 19924.
- Dvorakova, R.Nencka, M. Dejmek, E. Zbornikova, A. Brezinova, M. Pribylova, R. Pohl, M. E. Migaud, T. Vanek, Synthesis of alkylcarbonate analogs of O-acetyl-ADP-ribose. Org. Biol. Chem., 2013, 11, 34, 5702-5713.
- Ali AA, Coulter JA, Ogle C, Migaud M, Hirst DG, Robson T, McCarthy HO. The contribution of N2O3 to the cytotoxicity of the nitric donor drug DETA/NO; an emerging role for S-nitrosylation. Bioscience Reports, 2013, 33, 333-349.
- Crossey, Kerri; Hardacre, Christopher; Migaud, Marie E. Nucleoside phosphitylation using ionic liquid stabilized phosphorodiamidites and mechanochemistry. Chem. Commun. 2012, 48(98), 11969-11971. DOI: 1039/C2CC36367D
- Deranieh, Rania M.; Greenberg, Miriam L.; Le Calvez, Pierre-B.; Mooney, Maura C.; Migaud, Marie E. Probing myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase with multisubstrate adducts. Biomol. Chem. 2012, 10(48), 9601-9619. DOI:10.1039/c2ob26577j
- Hardacre C.; Ness K.A.; Migaud M.E. Controlling chlorination versus cyclosulfonation of cis-diols using ionic liquid solvents. New J. Chem., 2012, 36, 2316-2321, DOI: 10.1039/C2NJ40180K
- Midtkandal, R.R.; Redpath, P.; Trammell, S.A.J.; Macdonald, S.J.F.; Brenner, C.; Migaud, M.E. Novel synthetic route to the C-nucleoside, 2-deoxy benzamide riboside. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2012, 22, 5204–5207.
- Dvorakova M.; Pribylova M.; Pohl R., Migaud M.E.; Vanek T. Alkyloxycarbonyl group migration in furanosides, Tetrahedron, 2012, 68, 6701-6711.
- Crossey, K.; Hardacre, C.; Norman, SE.; Migaud, ME. Exploiting the use of ionic liquids to access phosphorodiamidites. RSC Advances, 2012, 2, 2988–2993. DOI: 1039/B9NJ00597H
- Hardacre, C.; Huang, H.; James, SL.; Stuart L.; Norman, SE.; Pitner, WR. Migaud, ME. Overcoming hydrolytic sensitivity and low solubility of phosphitylation reagents by combining ionic liquid with mechanochemistry Chem. Commun. 2011, 47 (20), 5846 – 5848. DOI: 1039/C1CC11025J.
- Ravalico, F.; Messina, I.; Berberian, MV.; James, SL.; Migaud, ME.; Vyle, JS. Rapid synthesis of nucleotide pyrophosphate linkages in a ball mill. Biomol. Chem. 2011, 9(19), 6496-6497. DOI: 10.1039/C1OB06041D.
- Haluszczak, J.; Macdonald SJF.; Migaud ME. A one pot three-step process for the synthesis of an array of arylated benzimidazoribosyl nucleosides Org. Biomol. Chem. 2011, 9, 2821-2831. DOI: 1039/C0OB00866D
- Camper, Nicolas; Byrne, Teresa; Burden, Roberta E.; Lowry, Jenny; Gray, Breena; Johnston, James A.; Migaud Marie; Olwill, Shane A.; Buick, Richard J.; Scott, Christopher J. Stable expression and purification of a functional processed Fab' fragment from a single nascent polypeptide in CHO cells expressing the mCAT-1 retroviral receptor. J. Immunol. Meth. 2011, 372(1-2), 30-41.
- Gustafsson, AJ; Muraro, L; Dahlberg, C; Chevallier, OP; Migaud, ME ADP ribose is an endogenous ligand for the purinergic P2Y1 receptor . Molec. Cell. Endocr. 2011, 333(1), 8-19.
- Midtkandal, Rebecca R; Macdonald, Simon J F; Migaud, ME A stereocontrolled method for the synthesis of D- and L-2-deoxy-C-nucleosides using an intramolecular Sakurai-type cyclisation reaction. Chem Commun. 2010, 46(25), 4538-40. DOI: 1039/C0CC00467G.
- Camper, N.; Scott, C.; Migaud, M. Synthesis of an analogue of the bisphosphonate drug Ibandronate for targeted drug-delivery therapeutic strategies. New J. Chem. 2010, 34(5) 949-955. DOI: 1039/B9NJ00597H
- Amigues, E.J.; Hardacre, C.; Keane, G.; Norman, S.E.; Pitner, W.R.; Migaud, M.E. Controlling moisture sensitive reagents in ionic liquids. ECS Transactions, 2010, 33(7;17), 63-72.
- Le Calvez, P.; Scott C.; Migaud M. Multisubstrate Adduct Inhibitors: Drug design and Biological Tools. J. Inhib. Med. Chem., 2009, 24(6), 1291-318.
- Mallidis, C; Green, BD; Rogers, D; Agbaje, IM; Hollis, J; Migaud, M; Amigues, E; McClure, N; Browne, RA. Metabolic profile changes in the testes of mice with streptozotocin-induced type 1 diabetes mellitus. Intl J. Androl. 2009, 32 (2):156-165.
- Graham, SF; Hollis, JH; Migaud, M; Browne, RA. Analysis of Betaine and Choline Contents of Aleurone, Bran, and Flour Fractions of Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Using 1H-Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy. Ag. Food Chem. 2009, 57 (5):1948-1951.
- Graham, SF; Amigues, E; Migaud, M; Browne, RA. Application of NMR based metabolomics for mapping metabolite variation in European wheat. Metabolomics 2009, 5 (3):302-306.
- Batoux, N.; Hardacre, C; Ness, KA; Norman, SE.; Migaud, ME. Reactivity of 1,2-cyclic sulfite xylosides towards nucleophiles. Tetrahedron, 2009, 65(43), 8858-8862.
- Hardacre, C; Messina, I; Ness, KA; Norman, SE.; Migaud, ME.1,2-Cyclic sulfite and sulfate furanoside diesters: improved syntheses and stability. Tetrahedron, 2009, 65 (32), 6341-6347.
- Amigues, EJ; Armstrong, E; Dvorakova, M; Huang, M. Migaud, ME beta-1,2,3-Triazolyl-nucleosides as nicotinamide riboside mimics. Nucleosides Nucleotides & Nucleic Acids, 2009, 28 (3):238-259.
- Amigues, EJ; Hardacre, C; Keane, G; Norman, SE; Pitner, WR.; Migaud, ME. Selective synthesis of chlorophosphoramidites using ionic liquids. Green Chem. 2009, 11 (9):1391-1396.
- Amigues, EJ; Hardacre, C; Keane, G; Migaud, ME. Solvent-modulated reactivity of PCl3 with amines. Green Chemistry, 2008, 10 (6):660-669. DOI: 1039/B718849H
- Chevallier, OP; Migaud, ME. Synthesis of simple adenosine diphosphate ribose analogues. Nucleosides Nucleotides & Nucleic Acids, 2008, 27 (10-11):1127-1143.
- Redpath, P; Macdonald, S; Migaud, ME. A regio- and stereocontrolled approach to pyranosyl C-nucleoside synthesis. Org. Letters, 2008, 10 (15):3323-3326.
- Amigues, EJ; Greenberg, ML; Ju, S; Chen, Y; Migaud, ME. Synthesis of cyclophospho-glucoses and glucitols. Tetrahedron, 2007, 63 (40):10042-10053.
- Ness, KA; Migaud, ME. Solvent-controlled regioselective protection of allyl-4,6-benzylidene glucopyranosides. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 3, art.no.-26.
- Chevallier, OP; Migaud, ME. Investigation of acetyl migrations in furanosides. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2006, 2, art.no.-14
- Amigues, E; Hardacre, C; Keane, G; O'Neill, M.; Migaud, M. Ionic liquids - media for unique phosphorus chemistry. Chem. Commun. 2006 (1):72-74. DOI: 1039/B509248E
- Batoux, NE; Paradisi, F; Engel, PC; Migaud, ME. Novel nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide analogues as selective inhibitors of NAD+-dependent enzymes. Tetrahedron, 2004, 60 (31):6609-6617.
- Amigues, EJ; Migaud, ME. 2,4-dinitrophenol as an activating reagent in a facile preparation of cyclic phosphate triesters. Tetrahedron Letters, 2004, 45 (5):1001-1004.
- Van Derpoorten, K; Migaud, ME. Isopolar phosphonate analogue of adenosine diphosphate ribose. Letters, 2004, 6 (20):3461-3464.
- Mort, CJW; Migaud, ME; Galione, A; Potter, BVL. Aplysia californica mediated cyclisation of novel 3 '-modified NAD(+) analogues: a role for hydrogen bonding in the recognition of cyclic adenosine 5 '-diphosphate ribose. Med. Chem. 2004, 12 (2):475-487.
- Migaud, ME; Wilmouth, RC; Mills, GI; Wayne, GJ; Risley, C; Chambers, C; Macdonald, SJF; Schofield, CJ. 5,5-Fused thiophene gamma-lactams as templates for serine protease inhibition. Commun. 2002, (12):1274-1275. DOI: 10.1039/B111627D
- Migaud, ME; Pederick, RL; Bailey, VC; Potter, BVL. Probing Aplysia californica adenosine 5 '-diphosphate ribosyl cyclase for substrate binding requirements: Design of potent inhibitors. Biochemistry, 1999, 38 (28):9105-9114.
- Tian, F; Migaud, ME; Frost, JW. myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase: Does a single active-site amino acid catalyze multiple proton transfers? Am. Chem. Soc. 1999, 121 (24):5795-5796.
- Migaud, ME; Frost, JW. Elaboration of a general strategy for inhibition of myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase: Active site interactions of analogues possessing oxidized reaction centers. Am. Chem. Soc. 1996, 118 (3):495-501.
- Migaud, ME; CheeSanford, JC; Tiedje, JM; Frost, JW. Benzylfumaric, benzylmaleic, and Z- and E-phenylitaconic acids: Synthesis, characterization, and correlation with a metabolite generated by Azoarcus tolulyticus Tol-4 during anaerobic toluene degradation. Env. Microbiol 1996, 62 (3):974-978.
- Migaud, ME; Frost, JW. Inhibition of myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase by a reaction coordinate intermediate. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117 (18):5154-5155.
- Montchamp, JL; Migaud, ME; Frost, JW. Phosphonomethylation of cyclohexene oxides Org. Chem. 1995, 58 (27):7679-7684.
Compain, P; Desvergnes, V; Ollivier, C; Robert, F; Suzenet, F; Barboiu, M; Belmont, P; Bleriot, Y; Bolze, F; Bouquillon, S; Bourguet, E; Braida, B; Constantieux, T; Desaubry, L; Dupont, D; Gastaldi, S; Jerome, F; Legoupy, S; Marat, X; Migaud, M; Moitessier, N; Papot, S; Peri, F; Petit, M; Py, S; Schulz, E; Tranoy-Opalinski, I; Vauzeilles, B; Vayron, P; Vergnes, L; Vidal, S; Wilmouth, S. Future alchemy: account of the ESYOP experiment. COMPTES RENDUS CHIMIE 2006, 9 (1):127-140 and New J. Chem. 2006, 30, 823-831.
7 Book Chapters:
- Organophosphorus Chemistry, Specialist Periodic Reports, RSC (Springer) vols 33, 34. 35, 37, 39, 40, 41 (2002-2012).
- Scalable syntheses of nicotinamide and nicotinoyl ribosides and nicotinamide mononucleotide derivatives - Migaud ME, Redpath P, Doherty M, Crossey K, 2015, Patent WO2015014722-A1. Licensed.
- Phosphitylation reactions in ionic liquids; Migaud ME, Hardacre C, Keane GE, Amigues E,; GE EP 07 013 366.7; 2007.