John R. Russell, M.D.
Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
Elsie Colle Professor of Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- The development of innovative radiation oncology procedures for the treatment of breast, head and neck, prostate and gynecologic malignancies
- B.S., Physics, St. Mary’s University
- Medical Physics Graduate Studies, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston
- M.S., Radiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- M.D., University of Texas, School of Medicine
- Internship in Internal Medicine, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, TX
- Residency in Radiation Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital
- Fellow / Instructor in Gynecologic Oncology, University of Florida, Shands Teaching Hospital, Gainesville, FL
- Alabama Medical License
- Florida Medical License
- Texas Medical License
- American Board of Radiology in Therapeutic Radiology
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Fellow, American College of Radiology, May, 2008
- Fellow, American College of Radiation Oncology, May, 2002
- Elsie Colle Chair of Radiation Oncology and Chief, Radiation Oncology Service, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2010-present)
- President, Cancer Center of Southern Alabama, P.A. (2000-2010)
- President, Radiation Oncology Associates of Mobile, P.A. (1990-2000)
- Medical Director, Radiation Oncology Department, Mobile Infirmary Medical Center (1989-2010)
- Private Practice Radiation Oncologist, Radiation Oncology Associates of Mobile, P.A. (1983-1990)
- Radiation Oncologist, Mobile Infirmary Medical Center (1983-1989)
- Chief, Section of Radiation Therapy, Department of Radiology, Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Aurora, CO (1980-1983)
Honors and Academic Achievements:
- Certificate of Appreciation, Mobile Medical Reserve Corps, Division of the Civilian Volunteer Medical Reserve Corps, Office of the U.S. Surgeon General (2012)
- Best Doctors in America Award (2005-2012)
- America’s Top Oncologists, (2009)
- 25-year pin & award, membership in ACR (2009)
- Nominated for University of Texas School of Medicine Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award, San Antonio, Texas (2008, 2009, 2010)
- Leading Health Professionals of the World, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England (2007)
- America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council of America (2004-2006)
- Chosen by peers for “Top Docs in Bay Area”, published in Mobile Bay Monthly, pp. 94-106 (2006)
- American College of Radiology Award of Merit (2003)
- American Center Society and Us Too Support Group, in Appreciation of Contribution to Prostate Cancer Education (2003)
- Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Hematology-Oncology Service. Award for Devotion to Patient Care and Dedication to the Highest Standards of Oncology (1983)
- US Army Commendation Medal (1983)
- US Air Force Academy Hospital, Recognition of Contributions to Mission (1983)
- US Army Health Profession Scholarship (1972-1976)
- American Cancer Society Grant, Research in Radiological Physics, UT Health Sciences Center,(1973)
- National Science Foundation Fellowship, University of Wisconsin (1969-1971)
- National Institutes of Health Fellowship, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Institute (1968-1969)
- Alabama Academy of Radiology
- Alabama Cancer Congress
- Alabama Quality Assurance Foundation
- Alabama Radiation Therapy Society
- Alabama Society of Radiation Oncology
- American Brachytherapy Society
- American College of Physician Oncology
- American College of Radiology
- American Foundation for Health
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology & Oncology
- Association of Community Cancer Centers
- Association of Free-Standing Radiation Oncology Centers
- CyberKnife Safety
- Gilbert H. Fletcher Society
- MD Anderson Associates
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
- Medical Society of Mobile County
- Society of Neuro-Oncology
- Southern Association for Oncology
- Southern Medical Association 09/30/80-08/31/2011
- University of Florida President’s Council
- UT Health Science Center San Antonio Medical Alumni Associates
Other Professional Honors / Services:
- Board Member, Alabama Cancer Congress (ACC)
- Past President, Alabama Society of Radiation Oncology (ASRO)
- American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO), Standards Committee
- American College of Radiology (ACR) & American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO), Radiation Oncology Practice Accreditation (ROPA) Surveyor
- Association of Community Cancer Centers (ACCC), chaired two sessions of the ACCC 28th National Oncology Conference, Seattle, WA
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG), CCOP Steering/Review Committee
1. “Prostate Brachytherapy: Establishing a Competitive Modality”. Oncology Issues, published by Association of Community Cancer Centers, Vol. 13, No. 6, November-December 1998, pp. 20-23.
2. “Introduction”. Port City Cancer Watch, published by Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, June 2001.
3. “MammoSite Therapy in the Treatment of Breast Cancer”. Port City Cancer Watch, published by Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, September 2003.
4. “Should You or Shouldn’t You: Final Advice for Community Cancer Centers”. Oncology Issues, published by Association of Community Cancer Centers, Vol. 18, No. 3, May-June, 2003, pp.15.
5. “Partial Breast Irradiation”. Oncology Issues, published by Association of Community Cancer Centers. Vol.19, No. 1, January-February, 2004.
6. “Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation”. Physician’s Weekly, Contemporary Cancer Care, published by Association of Community Cancer Centers. Vol. 1, No. 4, April 25, 2005.
7. “What is the Most Common Male Cancer Diagnosed in the United States Each Year?” Infirmary Seniors, Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, August 2006.
8. “What is the Most Common Male Cancer Diagnosed in the United States Each Year?” Port City Cancer Watch, published by Mobile Infirmary Medical Center, August 2006.
9. “Radiation Oncology Geared to Face Cancer with New Cutting-edge Technology”, Infirmary Insight, Mobile Infirmary medical Center, February 1, 2008.
10. “Two Radiation Oncologists Reflect on Staying Active in ACCC”. Invited 1st-person article in Oncology Issues, ACCC, TBP July/August, 2009.
11. “Today Can Be the Day to Kick Tobacco Habit”, Editorial, Press-Register, Mobile, AL, November 19, 2009.