Honored to serve.
With so many bright minds who are so committed to fighting cancer, it’s little wonder that MCI continues to garner an impressive list of honors and awards, many of which are described below. Yet, the biggest honor we receive every day is the chance to bring a positive impact to the lives of our patients.
Kenneth M. Forster, Ph.D.
||-Dual Fellow at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City (1995-1997)
Gary A. Piazza, Ph.D.
-Ad hoc reviewer, NCI Program project study section (2011-present)
-Ad hoc reviewer, NCI SPORE study section (2011-present)
-Reviewer, NCI SBIR/STTR, Cancer drug discovery and development study section (2009-present)
Ad hoc reviewer, NCI Comprehensive Cancer Site Visit (2008-present)
-Full-time member, Chemo-dietary prevention study section 2012 -Mayer Mitchell Award for Excellence in Cancer Research, University of South Alabama, 2014
Rodney P. Rocconi, M.D.
||- Laura Crandall Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation Grant (2012)
- CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education (2012)
- Alabama Academy of Science Presentation Competition- Health Science Division. Research Mentor for Jonathan Blandford- Measurement of Cancer Related Cytokines in Biological Fluids using Mass Spectrometry Selective Reaction Monitoring (2011)
-USA Medical Student Honors Convocation- Recognition for Most Meaningful Input into Medical Education to the Class of 2011 (2011)
John R. Russell, M.S., M.D., F.A.C.R.O., F.A.C.R.
||-Appointed National Cancer Institute Principal Investigator, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, for University of South Alabama Mitchell Cancer Institute (March 2013)
- Appointed Delegate to Association of Community Cancer Centers to represent USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (February 2013)
- President of the Medical Society of Mobile County (2013)
-Treasurer of the Alabama Quality Assurance Foundation (2012-2013)
- Appointed by Alabama Governor Bob Riley to the Business Council of Alabama Radiation Advisory Board of Health (2010-2015)
Ajay Singh, Ph. D.
||- Post-Doctoral Fellow (Arun Bhardwaj, PI: Ajay Singh) received Travel Award to attend the Annual Fall Symposium of Society of Basic Urology Research (2012)
- Exploratory Research Proposal (R21) ranked at 1.0 percentile with a perfect priority score in NIH Scientific Merit Review (2011)
-Guest Editor of “Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology” journal special issue, “MicroRNAs in Health and Disease” (2011)
Ming Tan, M.D., Ph.D.
||-Mayer Mitchell Award for Excellence in Cancer Research, University of South Alabama (2012)
- Vincent F. Kilborn, Jr. Cancer Research Scholar, University of South Alabama (2007-Present)
-Second Prize Winner, Alexander Y-M Wang Memorial Awards, SCBA Annual Scientific Symposium Oral Presentation Competition (2003)
-Sowell-Huggins Scholar for Excellence in Cancer Research, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and Health Sciences Center at Houston (2000)