Windy Dean-Colomb, M.D., Ph.D.
Staff Physician, Medical Oncology
Assistant Professor, Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology
USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604
- Working with other MCI physicians to provide an interdisciplinary team approach to breast cancer treatment
- B.S., Prairie View A&M University, Prairie View, Texas
- M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
- M.D., University of Illinois College of Medicine Urbana, Illinois
- Residency at University of Illinois College of Medicine Urbana, Illinois
- Fellow in Medical Oncology, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Eligible Medical Oncology
- Staff Physician, Medical Oncology and Assistant Professor, Interdisciplinary Clinical Oncology, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute (2011-present)
- Hospitalist, Ochsner Medical Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2007-2011)
- Staff Physician, Louisiana Medical Clinic, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2010-2011)
- Medical Oncology Fellow, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas (2007-2010)
- Staff Physician, Louisiana Medical Clinic, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2006-2007)
- Staff Physician, FEMA Field Office, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2005-2006)
- Visiting Clinical Associate (non-tenured), University of Illinois College of Medicine, Urbana, Illinois (2001-2002)-
Academic and Other Professional Achievements:
- Clinical Preceptor, University of Illinois College of Medicine (2003-2005)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board of Africa, Cancer Care, Inc. (2007-present)
- Fellow Representative, Clinical Research Committee, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (2007-present)
- American Medical Association, Member (1997-present)
- American College of Physicians, Member (2001-present)
- Student National Medical Association, Faculty Advisor (2001-2005), Member (1997-2001)
- National Medical Association, Member (2001-present)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, Associate Member (2007-present)
Honors and Awards:
- Full Academic Scholarship, Prairie View A&M University, Texas (1985-1989)
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges, (1987)
- UI Graduate College Edmund James Scholarship Recipient (1990 & 1991)
- Illinois Minority Graduate Incentive Program Scholarship Recipient (1992-1995)
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Parkland College, Urbana, IL (1998 & 1999)
- U of IL Coll of Medicine Martin Luther King Jr Scholarship Recipient (1999)
- ASCO Merit Award Recipient (2009)
- NIH Loan Repayment Award (2009-2011)
Research Grants and Protocols:
- Research Assistant, 100%, IL Depart Natural Resources Grant, 08/95-07/98, $120,000
- Research Assistant, 100%, IL Depart Natural Resources Grant, 08/98-07/00, $80,000
- Roche Diagnostic, Investigator Initiated Research Project, 07/10-06/12, $100,000
- “Circulating Biomarkers of Bone Metastasis in Breast Cancer,” MDACC, Protocol # LAB08-0749
1. Dean-Colomb W and Esteva FJ. Emerging agents in the treatment of anthracycline- and taxane-refractory metastatic breast cancer. Semin Oncol. 35(2 Suppl 2):S31-8, 2008. PMID: 18410797
2. Dean-Colomb W and Esteva J. Her2-positive breast cancer: Herceptin and beyond. Eur J Cancer 44(18):2806-2811, 2008. PMID: 19022660
3. Dean-Colomb W and Giordano SH. Off-label drug use in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. Submitted to JCO.
4. Dean-Colomb W and Esteva J. Treatment of HER2-Positive Breast Cancer: What’s on the Horizon. Current Breast Cancer Reports.
5. Dean-Colomb W and Giordano SH. Cancer Treatment Adherence among Low-Income Women with Breast or Gynecologic Cancer. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, Volume 21 (2009), Dr. Thomas Buchholz, Editor-in-Chief.
6. Dean-Colomb W, Fang S, Smith W, Michaud L, Hortabagyi GN, and Giordano S. Off-label drug use in women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 27:15s, 2009 (suppl; abstr 1016).
7. Dean-Colomb W, Yan K, Liedtke C, Symmans WF, Holmes FA, O'Shaughnessy J, Asmar L, Hortobagyi GN, Pusztai L, and Gonzalez-Angulo AM. Transcriptional profiles of triple receptor-negative breast cancer: Are Caucasian, Hispanic, and African-American different? J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 22014).
8. Dean-Colomb W and Jeffery E., Development of a Sensitive Bioassay to Detect Exposure to Environmental Estrogens. Illinois WMRC Research Report 086:1-120, 2000.