- Teams consist of 3 to 6 members from the student community, the medical community, the University of South Alabama community, or our business sponsors.
- Each team will cook 10 gallons of either chili or gumbo, fresh, that Saturday on a propane burner. Cooking starts by 7AM and the event opens to the public at 10:30 AM! (Sorry, no premixed or pre-cooked gumbo or chili is allowed. Electricity cannot be supplied and no generators or large batteries are allowed due to safety concerns.)
- Teams will compete for the distinction of Best Overall Gumbo or Chili, best within a specific category, and the People’s Choice!
- Gumbo or Chili will be scored by a panel of local judges not affiliated with our teams. The People’s Choice will be awarded to the team with the most donations and raffle ticket sales on the day of the event between 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Registration fee includes Food Handler’s Permit for one team member.