The deadline for applications to the Graduate Program is March 31st each year, though early submission of applications is strongly encouraged. Competitive candidates will be invited to attend one of several on-campus interview days. Matriculation into the program is limited to the beginning of the Fall term. Information regarding the application process and the program can be obtained by contacting the BMS Graduate Office by phone (251)460-6153 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications can be obtained by contacting the Graduate Office or by downloading the University of South Alabama application form and instructions (PDF format). Send the completed application to the University Admissions Office.
Transcripts from each college or university attended and official scores (GRE and TOEFL) must be sent directly to the University Admissions Office.
International students must use the application materials provided by the Office of International Services.
All first-time applicants must submit a non-refundable $25 fee with the Application to the Graduate School.
Secondary Materials for the BMS Graduate Program
You will receive secondary materials (personal statement and signature form; three recommendation forms) by mail from the Graduate Office after the University has received your application.
Return completed personal statement form to the Graduate Office:
Basic Medical Sciences Graduate Program
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Request letters of recommendation (three) from instructors, advisors, or other persons qualified to evaluate your academic performance and potential for graduate training. Completed recommendation forms must be sent directly by the recommender to the Graduate Office. Applications will not be considered for review by the Graduate Admissions Committee until all of the following materials have been received:
- A completed application form
- All transcripts
- Official reports for standardized tests taken (GRE, TOEFL)
- Completed personal statement form
- Three letters of recommendation
To be accepted for admission to the Graduate Program in Basic Medical Sciences, an applicant must meet certain minimal requirements.
- A baccalaureate degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university; this must be acquired prior to matriculation.
- Satisfactory standing at the last educational institution attended.
- A grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Satisfactory scores on all standardized achievement examinations. The GRE is required. Foreign applicants must present evidence of competence and fluency in spoken and written English, with a TOEFL score of at least 600.
- Two semesters or three quarters of undergraduate work are recommended in each of the following areas: physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, English composition, and mathematics (including calculus and statistics).