Early Decision/Early Acceptance
Early Decision Program (EDP)
The College participates in the EDP operated by AMCAS. This program is designed for competitive students who have narrowed their selection down to a single choice. The chief benefits include the security of having an early guaranteed position, reduced application and travel fees involved in applying to multiple institutions, and the opportunity to begin financial planning as soon as possible. Students applying as Early Decision candidates should be competitive on a national level. The EDP is limited to residents of Alabama, the Florida Panhandle, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast counties which are eligible for in-state tuition.
Procedures for regular admission apply to the EDP with the following exceptions:
• Candidates must indicate the EDP intention on the AMCAS application.
• All AMCAS materials, including official transcripts, must be received by August 1.
• MCAT scores must be available at the time of application.
• Under the EDP guidelines, applicants agree to apply to only one medical school and if an offer is made, accept it.
• Candidates will receive notification of the outcome by October 1.
• Early Decision Program candidates are required to have a minimum composite MCAT score of 27 and a grade-point average of 3.50. However, having the minimum requirements only allows a student to be considered for an EDP interview. It does not guarantee an interview.
Candidates who are not accepted into the EDP are normally deferred to the regular admissions process. Students are then free to send AMCAS an alternate designation form indicating their additional choices.
Early Acceptance Program (EAP)
For qualified high school graduates interested in a career in medicine. Participant must maintain a specific grade-point average during college and meet all other requirements for entering medical school at the University of South Alabama. Annual evaluations of EAP student performance takes place each spring. Contact USA Admissions & Enrollment Services.