University of South Alabama Pediatric Surgical Specialists
Surgical problems seen by pediatric surgeons are often quite different from those commonly seen by adult or general surgeons. Special training in pediatric surgery is important.
Pediatric surgeons treat children from the newborn stage through late adolescence. They choose to make pediatric care the core of their medical practice, and the unique nature of medical and surgical care of children is learned from advanced training and experience in practice.
Pediatric surgeons diagnose, treat, and manage children's surgical needs including:
- Surgical repair of birth defects
- Serious injuries that require surgery, including burns.
- Diagnosis and surgical care of tumors, both benign and cancerous
- Endoscopic procedures(bronchoscopy, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy)
- General surgeries such as hernia repair, appendectomies, gastric reflux treatment
- Thoracic surgeries such as lung resections, repair of chest wall deformities, and removal of tumors, both benign and cancerous
- Minimally invasive surgeries in the chest and abdomen for all pediatric age groups- newborns to adolescents
- Urologic procedures such as circumcision, hypospadias repair, undescended testicles repair, and birth defects correction
- USA pediatric surgeons can be reached at any time by calling the hospital operator at USA Childrens & Women's Hospital (251) 415-1000