The BFF Group
The Breastfeeding Friendly Group
Every Monday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. (Except major holidays)
The Allen Cox Building Conference Room
205 Lambert Avenue, Mobile, AL 36604
Who Is Invited
All are welcome, even if you haven’t delivered yet. Spouses and other support partners are also welcome.
What to Expect
- A place where new moms can get one-on-one breastfeeding help.
- A place where breastfeeding professionals are able to provide newborn weight checks before and after feeding to help you to know if your baby is getting enough to eat.
- A place where nurses and other medical personnel can answer general questions about mothers and babies, all without calling for an appointment or a long wait in a doctor’s office.
- The professionals cannot and will not replace your pediatrician’s advice, but if your concerns pertain to breastfeeding, they can help.
- Get to know other moms within the same community and possibly become a mentor.
History of the Group
- The BFF Group was started by a group of women in the Mobile community made up of nurses, lactation counselors and physicians who are moms.
- They wanted to encourage and support other moms who may not have anyone to turn to for breastfeeding help.
- Mobile County, Alabama, has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the state. Nationally, Alabama ranks in the bottom 5 for lowest scores for women who choose to only breastfeed.
- Studies have shown that breastfeeding support after the hospital directly improves a mother’s chances of breastfeeding success.
- So they created The BFF Group to help calm breastfeeding fears and supply the much needed support new mothers in our community may need.
Breastfeeding Champions Needed
The BFF Group is in need of volunteers to help lead their breastfeeding peer support group and/or help with breastfeeding assessments and weight checks. Volunteers must have personal experience breastfeeding. Must be RN or above with breastfeeding assessment experience to help with feeding assessments and weight checks. For more information, contact Genevieve Mantell at (251) 415-1605 or email@example.com.
Genevieve Mantell, RN
USA Children's & Women's Hospital
National Breastfeeding Hotline
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.