U.S. News and World Report's Top Doctors
|From left: Drs. Michael Finan, David Lewis, William Richards, Allen Perkins, Johnson Haynes Jr., and Arnold Luterman
Six physicians from the University of South Alabama Physicians Group and USA Mitchell Cancer Institute appear in the Top Doctors directory for 2013 issued by U.S. News and World Report. They are the only doctors in our region to receive this honor.
Drs. Michael Finan, Johnson Haynes Jr., David Lewis, Arnold Luterman, Allen Perkins, and William Richards each were listed among the top physician specialists in the United States.
- Dr. Michael Finan is professor and chief of the gynecologic and oncology division at the Mitchell Cancer Institute and is a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the USA College of Medicine.
- Dr. Johnson Haynes Jr. is a professor of internal medicine and director of the USA Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center. Dr. Haynes also serves as assistant dean for diversity and cultural competence at the USA College of Medicine.
- Dr. David Lewis is a professor and chair of the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the USA College of Medicine. He is board-certified in maternal-fetal medicine with more than 20 years of experience in academic medicine.
- Dr. Arnold Luterman recently retired as the Ripp-Meisler professor of surgery at the USA College of Medicine and medical director of the USA Burn Center, which recentley was renamed the Arnold Luterman Regional Burn Center.
- Dr. Allen Perkins is a professor and chair of family medicine at the USA College of Medicine. He has been a member of the USA College of Medicine faculty for 20 years.
- Dr. William Richards serves as professor and chair of surgery at the USA College of Medicine. He directs the laparoscopic and bariatric surgery programs at USA and is also a member surgeon with the USA Mitchell Cancer Institute.
U.S. News Top Doctors was created in collaboration with Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. It draws from their database of America's Top Doctors, all recommended for their clinical skills by other doctors and individually vetted by a physician-led research team.
Learn more about the Top Doctors list on the USA College of Medicine's Med School Watercooler blog.
Best Doctors in America
Twenty-two physicians affiliated with the USA College of Medicine were included in the 2014 Best Doctors in America database. The following physicians were chosen for the list after extensive peer review by thousands of doctors:
- Dr. Jorge E. Alonso - Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. Susan L. Baker - Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Errol Crook - Nephrology
- Dr. R. Michael Culpepper - Nephrology
- Dr. Jack A. DiPalma - Gastroenterology
- Dr. Donna Lynn Dyess - Endocrine Surgery
- Dr. Karen Fagan – Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Dr. Michael A. Finan - Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Richard P. Gonzalez - Trauma Surgery
- Dr. Johnson Haynes Jr. - Pulmonary Medicine
- Dr. Jorge L. Herrera – Hepatology and Gastroenterology
- Dr. David F. Lewis - Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Arnold Luterman - Burn Surgery
- Dr. Paul Maertens - Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Dr. Frederick N. Meyer - Hand Surgery
- Dr. Dean K. Naritoku - Neurology
- Dr. Prasit Nimityongskul - Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. J. Michael O’Dowd - Cardiovascular Disease
- Dr. Albert W. Pearsall IV - Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. William O. Richards - Bariatric/Laparoscopic Surgery
- Dr. Theresa Pryor Roca - Pediatric Specialist
- Dr. John Alan VandeWaa - Infectious Disease
Best Doctors, Inc. is a database that uses peer review along with other criteria to determine the most qualified doctors in various fields of medicine. The database seeks physicians whose reputation and expertise put them in the top 5 percent of their specific specialty. To ensure impartiality, physicians cannot pay to be included in the database, nor are they paid for their participation.
Learn more about the Best Doctors list on the USA College of Medicine's Med School Watercooler blog.